Artillery Recoil Mechanism as Dual-Action Shock Absorber

In summary, the National Geographic Channel's "Engineering Connections" program discussed the A380's landing gear shock absorbers, which used bicycle pumps filled with water to illustrate the basic principle of hydraulic shock-absorbtion, while pointing to the use of oil, as opposed to water, as the hydraulic fluid, due to oil's greater viscosity. The mechanism exploits the differential compressibility of oil and air to produce hydraulic shock absorption, pneumatic energy storage, and release of pneumatically stored energy in the form of hydraulic motion in opposition to the direction of application of the original energy input.
BadBrain
I've just viewed the National Geographic Channel's "Engineering Connections" program. specifically, the episode entitled "Airbus380", and that episode's discussion of the A380's landing gear shock absorbers, which used bicycle pumps filled with water to illustrate the basic principle of hydraulic shock-absorbtion, while pointing to the use of oil, as opposed to water, as the hydraulic fluid, due to oil's greater viscosity.

I've found a mechanism that exploits the differential compressibility of oil and air to produce hydraulic shock absorption, pneumatic energy storage, and release of pneumatically stored energy in the form of hydraulic motion in opposition to the direction of application of the original energy input.

I'm here referring to the hydro-pneumatic recoil mechanism of the famous Schneider Model 1897 75mm gun, which consists of a buffer cylinder, which, in turn, consists of a cylinder filled with oil and a piston which, during recoil, forces the oil through a duct into the recuperator cylinder, which then drives the recuperator piston (which is a floating piston) in the opposite direction (i.e., towards the recoil) to compress the air in the recuperator cylinder. The recuperator piston has attached to it, in the direction facing away from the recoil, a long, somewhat conically-shaped rod (with the flare facing away from the recoil) which passes through a diaphragm so that the whole piston/throttling rod/diaphragm assembly constitutes a simple, graduated valve. Once recoil is fully absorbed, the compressed air in the recuperator cylinder expands to return the gun to battery.
Neat, huh?EDIT: At about the same time, the Russians came up with a recoil mechanism consisting of a single cylinder containing a stack of toroidal hard rubber gaskets. It worked almost as well as the hydro-pneumatic Schneider system, but, unlike the Schneider system, was not scalable to pieces much larger than 75mm light field guns.

P.S.: The Schneider 75 would have been the perfect infantry support weapon had it only had a split trail and an elevation rack with arc sufficient to turn the gun into a howitzer.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cool info, BadBrain. Thanks. I will have to investigate this further. Mechanisms like that, especially if weapons are involved, always fascinate me. I was unfamiliar with the one that you mention. (I have to sandwich my investigation into my normal routine of sleep, beer, TV & computer, gummy worms & beer, nap, TV & computer, beer, nap, TV & computer, beer, nap... I'll fit it in somehow.)

What is an Artillery Recoil Mechanism as Dual-Action Shock Absorber?

An Artillery Recoil Mechanism as Dual-Action Shock Absorber is a mechanical system used in artillery guns to absorb and control the recoil force generated when the gun is fired. It consists of a hydraulic cylinder, a piston, and a valve system that work together to reduce the impact of recoil on the gun and its crew.

How does an Artillery Recoil Mechanism work?

When the gun is fired, the expanding gas from the propellant pushes the projectile and the gun barrel in the opposite direction, causing recoil. The hydraulic cylinder in the recoil mechanism is connected to the gun carriage and the gun barrel. As the gun moves back, the piston in the cylinder is forced to move, compressing the hydraulic fluid and absorbing the recoil energy. The valve system then releases the compressed fluid slowly, allowing the gun to return to its firing position smoothly.

What are the benefits of using an Artillery Recoil Mechanism?

The main benefit of using an Artillery Recoil Mechanism is that it reduces the recoil force experienced by the gun and its crew. This reduces the stress on the gun carriage and allows for more accurate and rapid firing. It also helps to prolong the lifespan of the gun by reducing wear and tear on its components.

Are there different types of Artillery Recoil Mechanisms?

Yes, there are different types of Artillery Recoil Mechanisms, including hydro-pneumatic, hydro-spring, and hydro-pneumatic-spring systems. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of which one to use depends on the specific requirements of the gun and its intended use.

How is an Artillery Recoil Mechanism maintained?

An Artillery Recoil Mechanism requires regular maintenance to ensure its proper functioning. This includes checking and replacing the hydraulic fluid, inspecting and cleaning the valves and piston, and making any necessary repairs. The frequency of maintenance depends on the frequency of use and the manufacturer's recommendations.