Ascoli's theorem: A subspace F of C(X,R^n)

In summary, Ascoli's theorem states that a subspace F of C(X,R^n) has compact closure if and only if F is equicontinuous and pointwise bounded. As a corollary, if the collection {fn} of functions in C(X,R^k) is pointwise bounded and equicontinuous, then the sequence (fn) has a uniformly convergent subsequence. This is because in a metric space, a compact subset A has a convergent subsequence, and by taking F as the subspace generated by the f_n's, we know that F has compact closure and the sequence {f_n} is in the closure of F. Therefore, the sequence {f_n} has a convergent
symbol0
I just read Ascoli's theorem: A subspace F of C(X,R^n) has compact closure if and only if F is equicontinuous and pointwise bounded.

Then it says, As a corollary: If the collection {fn} of functions in C(X,R^k) is pointwise bounded and equicontinuous, then the sequence (fn) has a uniformly convergent subsequence.

Can anybody tell me why the corollary follows from the theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org

in a metric space, when you have a compact subset A, then any sequence in A has a convergent subsequence. Now apply this to the appropriate metric space of functions, so that convergence in the metric is uniform convergence of functions.

Thanks Edgar,
The problem I see with your reply is that here the closure of the sequence is compact (by Ascoli's theorem), so as you say, this closure has a convergent subsequence. But we don't know that the sequence itself is compact, so how do we know that it has a convergent subsequence?

I think that here, we are taking F as the subspace generated by the f_n's. Then F has compact closure. Now, the f_n are in F and so in particular, they are in the closure of F. Therefor the sequence {f_n} has a convergent subsequence (in C(X,R^k)).

AFAIK, it does not make sense to say that a sequence is compact.

Of course! how could I miss that? ohh, I know.
For some reason, instead of thinking that every sequence of a compact metric space has a convergent subsequence, I was thinking: every compact metric space has a convergent subsequence. I guess I was very tired.

Thank you for clarifying.

Related to Ascoli's theorem: A subspace F of C(X,R^n)

1. What is Ascoli's theorem?

Ascoli's theorem is a mathematical result that characterizes the compactness of a set of continuous functions. Specifically, it states that if a subspace F of the space of continuous functions from a compact metric space X to n-dimensional real space R^n is equicontinuous and pointwise bounded, then F is relatively compact in the space of continuous functions equipped with the uniform norm.

2. How is Ascoli's theorem related to compactness?

Ascoli's theorem is a necessary and sufficient condition for compactness of a set of continuous functions. It states that if a subspace F of continuous functions is equicontinuous and pointwise bounded, then it is also relatively compact. This means that every sequence in F has a subsequence that converges uniformly to a function in F. In other words, F is "closed" in the space of continuous functions, making it a compact subspace.

3. What is meant by equicontinuity in Ascoli's theorem?

Equicontinuity is a condition on a set of continuous functions in which the rate of change of each function is uniformly bounded. In other words, for every function in the set, there exists a common bound on the difference between the function values at any two points in the domain. This condition ensures that the functions in the set do not vary too rapidly, allowing for convergence of sequences of functions.

4. Why is pointwise boundedness important in Ascoli's theorem?

Pointwise boundedness is a condition on a set of continuous functions in which the function values at each point in the domain are bounded. This condition is important because it guarantees that the functions in the set do not become too large or too small at any point, which could prevent convergence of sequences of functions. Pointwise boundedness, along with equicontinuity, ensures that the functions in the set remain "close" to each other, allowing for compactness.

5. Can Ascoli's theorem be applied to functions with different codomains?

Yes, Ascoli's theorem can be applied to functions with different codomains as long as they are all contained in the same metric space. For example, Ascoli's theorem can be used for a set of continuous functions from a compact space X to R or C, as well as to a set of continuous functions from a compact space X to a subset of R^n. As long as the functions are equicontinuous and pointwise bounded, Ascoli's theorem holds regardless of the codomain.