[ASK] A Circle Which Touches the X-Axis at 1 Point

In summary, the given equation represents a circle that touches the X-axis at one point. The center of the circle is located at either (3, -4) or (-3, -4), with the coefficient of y in the equation indicating the ordinate of the center. The value of p can be determined by noticing that the equation can be rewritten as a perfect square, and thus only one of the given options, namely (3, -4), satisfies the equation.
Monoxdifly
MHB
The circle \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2+px+8y+9=0\) touches the X-axis at one point. The center of that circle is ...
a. (3, -4)
b. (6, -4)
c. (6, -8)
d. (-6, -4)
e. (-6, -8)

I already eliminated option c and e since based on the coefficient of y in the equation, the ordinate of the center must be -4. However, I don't know how to determine the abscissa since we need to determine the value of p first, in which we need to substitute the value of x and y while the only info I have is y = 0. How should I do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
circle touches the x-axis at one point $\implies x^2+px+9$ is a perfect square $\implies p$ is either +6 or -6 $\implies x$ is either -3 or +3,

choice (a) seems to be the only plausible fit ...

$x^2-6x+9 +y^2+8y+16=16$

$(x-3)^2 +(y+4)^2 =4^2$

Ah, thanks skeeter! That was faster than I thought...

1. What is a circle that touches the X-axis at 1 point?

A circle that touches the X-axis at 1 point is known as a tangent circle. This means that the circle only intersects the X-axis at one point, creating a right angle with the X-axis at that point.

2. How is the center of the circle determined?

The center of the circle is determined by finding the midpoint between the point of tangency on the X-axis and the center of the X-axis. This point will be the center of the circle.

3. What is the equation for a circle that touches the X-axis at 1 point?

The equation for a circle that touches the X-axis at 1 point is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius. The value of h can be found by taking the X-coordinate of the point of tangency, and the value of k can be found by taking the Y-coordinate of the center of the X-axis.

4. How does the tangent circle relate to the X-axis?

The tangent circle is perpendicular to the X-axis at the point of tangency. This means that the line tangent to the circle at the point of tangency is perpendicular to the X-axis, creating a right angle.

5. Can a circle touch the X-axis at more than 1 point?

No, a circle can only touch the X-axis at 1 point. If a circle intersects the X-axis at more than 1 point, it is not a tangent circle. A tangent circle only has 1 point of tangency with the X-axis, creating a right angle.