[ASK] How much velocity is needed for the rock to be able to hit that bird?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the velocity needed for a rock to hit a bird located at a specific coordinate. The known variables and equations are substituted to determine the value of t, which is then used to calculate the velocity. The result is 25.8 m/s, but the conversation also questions the use of approximations when dealing with irrational numbers.
Monoxdifly
MHB
A bird is located at the (50, 8 ) m coordinate. A boy shot a rock at it using a slingshot with the elevation angle \(\displaystyle 37^{\circ}\). How much velocity is needed for the rock to be able to hit that bird?

I substituted all known variables (including the gravity acceleration \(\displaystyle 10m/s^2\), with \(\displaystyle \sin37^{\circ}=\frac{3}{5}\) and \(\displaystyle \cos37^{\circ}=\frac{4}{5}\)) to \(\displaystyle x=v_0\cos\alpha t\) and \(\displaystyle y=v_0\sin\alpha t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2\). Substituting the \(\displaystyle v_0\) I got from both equations resulted in \(\displaystyle \frac{125}{2t}=\frac{40+25t^2}{3t}\) and I got \(\displaystyle t^2=5,9\). Am I right? Because if it is indeed the right value of t, everything will be complicated from there.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct and then [tex]t= \sqrt{5.9}= 2.43[/tex] (to two decimal places). But why do things "get complicated"? You have [tex]x= 50= v_0 cos(37)(2.43)= 1.94 v_0[/tex]. [tex]v_0= 50/1.94= 25.8[/tex] m/s.

Country Boy said:
But why do things "get complicated"?

Probably just because I'm not used to the approximation of irrational numbers.

1. What is the equation for calculating velocity?

The equation for calculating velocity is velocity = distance / time.

2. How do you determine the velocity required for an object to hit a target?

The velocity required for an object to hit a target can be determined using the equation for projectile motion, taking into account the distance to the target, the gravitational force, and the angle of launch.

3. Can velocity alone determine if an object will hit a target?

No, velocity alone cannot determine if an object will hit a target. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape and size of the object will also affect its trajectory and determine if it will hit the target.

4. How can you increase the velocity of an object?

The velocity of an object can be increased by applying a greater force to the object, reducing air resistance, or changing the angle of launch to maximize the effect of gravity.

5. Why is it important to calculate the velocity needed for an object to hit a target?

Calculating the velocity needed for an object to hit a target is important for accurately predicting and aiming for the target, whether in sports, warfare, or other applications. It also allows for optimizing the launch conditions to achieve the desired outcome.