Asking for recommendation on Fluid Dynamics and CFD textbooks

In summary, the undergraduate student is looking for suggestions on good fluid dynamics and CFD books for self-study. They have not taken a formal course in fluid dynamics and are interested in physics-oriented books. They have found that most books on the market are engineering-oriented and are seeking recommendations for physics-oriented books. One recommendation is Tritton's book, which is geared towards 3rd or 4th year undergraduate physics students. Another recommendation is Kundu's book, which is more comprehensive. The student is also advised to check their university library for more options. They are also looking for suggestions on CFD books, but the person responding is not knowledgeable on the subject. A recommendation is Pozrikidis's book, "Introduction to theoretical and
Leonfeynman
Dear All

I am an undergraduate student studying in physics. I would probably get into research that needed fluid dynamics and CFD (computational fluid dynamics) skills. Previously I have not been taking a formal fluid dynamics course since there is none. I would like to pick up those skills by choosing some text for self - studying. However, I found that most of the fluid mechanics or fluid dynamics book on the market are engineering oriented. I would like to ask would there be any suggestion on good fluid dynamics book that are physics oriented? Nevertheless, would there be any good suggestion on a good CFD book for self study?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are at a university I recommend looking in your library, since looking at the book first hand is the best way to know if it might work for you. Here are a couple examples:

Tritton's book is pretty good:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198544936/?tag=pfamazon01-20
it is geared for a 3rd or 4th year undergraduate physics student.

A more comprehensive (and heavier!) book is by Kundu:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/012405935X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you look in your library stacks near these books you will surely find many others as well. Good luck,

I won't suggest cfd books since I know absolutely nothing about the subject.

jason

Leonfeynman said:
Dear All

I am an undergraduate student studying in physics. I would probably get into research that needed fluid dynamics and CFD (computational fluid dynamics) skills. Previously I have not been taking a formal fluid dynamics course since there is none. I would like to pick up those skills by choosing some text for self - studying. However, I found that most of the fluid mechanics or fluid dynamics book on the market are engineering oriented. I would like to ask would there be any suggestion on good fluid dynamics book that are physics oriented? Nevertheless, would there be any good suggestion on a good CFD book for self study?

Thanks!

Pozrikidis's book "Introduction to theoretical and computational fluid dynamics" is (likely) exactly what you are looking for.

For theory one of the most clear and well-written hydro book is volume 6 of Landau&Lifshitz.

Likes jasonRF

1. What are some highly recommended textbooks for Fluid Dynamics and CFD?

Some highly recommended textbooks for Fluid Dynamics and CFD include "An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics" by H.K. Versteeg and W. Malalasekera, "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson et al., and "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White.

2. What are the key concepts that should be covered in a Fluid Dynamics and CFD textbook?

A good Fluid Dynamics and CFD textbook should cover the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics, including fluid properties, flow equations, and boundary conditions. It should also include topics such as numerical methods for solving fluid flow problems, turbulence models, and applications of CFD in engineering.

3. Are there any textbooks that focus specifically on CFD?

Yes, there are several textbooks that focus specifically on CFD, such as "Computational Fluid Dynamics: Principles and Applications" by Jiri Blazek, "Computational Fluid Dynamics: A Practical Approach" by Jiyuan Tu et al., and "Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics" by A. J. Chorin and J. E. Marsden.

4. Are there any textbooks that provide practical examples and case studies for Fluid Dynamics and CFD?

Yes, there are many textbooks that provide practical examples and case studies for Fluid Dynamics and CFD, including "Applied Computational Fluid Dynamics" by Vijay K. Garg, "Computational Techniques for Fluid Dynamics: A Solutions Manual" by Clive A. J. Fletcher, and "CFD for Engineers: From Panel to Navier-Stokes Methods" by Wei Shyy et al.

5. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a Fluid Dynamics and CFD textbook?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a Fluid Dynamics and CFD textbook include the level of mathematical rigor, the clarity of explanations and examples, the inclusion of practical applications and case studies, and the relevance to your specific field of study or research. It may also be helpful to read reviews or ask for recommendations from other experts in the field.