Assigning Point Group for XeO2F4

In summary, the correct assignment for XeO2F4 is octahedral (Oh) rather than D4h, as all 6 substituents on the central atom must be identical in Oh point groups. This is supported by the presence of C3 axes in octahedral symmetry.
ochemnerd

Homework Statement

Had this question on a test today and now I'm having second thoughts. We were asked to assign the point group of symmetry for the compound XeO2F4.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I had initially thought that it fell under D4h because it contains 1 C4 axis, 4 C2 axes, 4 σv planes and 1 σh plane. I know that the compound XeF4 is D4h and my rationale for assigning D4h to XeO2F4 was that it is identical to XeF4 except that instead of 2 lone pairs on the Xe there are 2 double bonded O's.

However, is the correct assignment for XeO2F4 octahedron (Oh)? It is a octahedral shape according to VSEPR but I'm not sure if all 6 substituents on the central atom have to be identical on Oh point groups.

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
ochemnerd said:

Homework Statement

Had this question on a test today and now I'm having second thoughts. We were asked to assign the point group of symmetry for the compound XeO2F4.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I had initially thought that it fell under D4h because it contains 1 C4 axis, 4 C2 axes, 4 σv planes and 1 σh plane. I know that the compound XeF4 is D4h and my rationale for assigning D4h to XeO2F4 was that it is identical to XeF4 except that instead of 2 lone pairs on the Xe there are 2 double bonded O's.

However, is the correct assignment for XeO2F4 octahedron (Oh)? It is a octahedral shape according to VSEPR but I'm not sure if all 6 substituents on the central atom have to be identical on Oh point groups.

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Cheers!

yes, all 6 have to be the same. Don't forget there are also C3 axes in octahedral symmetry, which are not present in your proposed structure.

Thanks for the clarification, sjb-2812!
I fail to see where the C3 axes would be though in a molecule of octahedral symmetry...

Your initial thought of assigning D4h for XeO2F4 is correct. The compound does indeed have 1 C4 axis, 4 C2 axes, 4 σv planes and 1 σh plane, making it a D4h point group. The fact that it is similar to XeF4, which is also a D4h point group, further supports this assignment.

As for the consideration of Oh point group, it is not applicable in this case. The Oh point group is only applicable for molecules with six identical substituents around the central atom, which is not the case for XeO2F4. Therefore, D4h is the correct assignment for XeO2F4.

Related to Assigning Point Group for XeO2F4

1. What is the point group of XeO2F4?

The point group of XeO2F4 is C2v.

2. How is the point group of XeO2F4 determined?

The point group of XeO2F4 is determined by analyzing its molecular geometry and symmetry elements, such as rotational and reflection axes, planes of symmetry, and inversion center.

3. What is the significance of assigning a point group to XeO2F4?

Assigning a point group to XeO2F4 allows us to understand its molecular structure and predict its physical and chemical properties. It also helps in predicting its spectroscopic behavior and reactivity.

4. Can the point group of XeO2F4 change under different conditions?

No, the point group of XeO2F4 is determined by its molecular structure and symmetry elements, which do not change under different conditions.

5. How does the point group of XeO2F4 affect its polarity?

The point group of XeO2F4 does not have a significant effect on its polarity. The molecule is polar due to the presence of asymmetrically placed Xe-F bonds, despite having a C2v symmetry.