Astrophysics: orbital dynamics - duration of a transit of Venus

In summary, the transit of Venus across the Sun's disk has a maximum duration of about 8 hours. This can be calculated using the synodic period of Venus, its orbital radius, and the Sun's angular diameter. By considering the Earth's frame of reference and the angle covered by the 32' seen from Earth, the problem can be solved as a purely circular geometric problem.
joriarty
Edit: perhaps this might belong in one of the Physics help forums? Oops. Mods, please move if so!

Homework Statement

Show that a transit of Venus across the Sun’s disk lasts at most about 8 hours. The synodic period of Venus is 584 days and its orbital radius is 0.723 A.U. The Sun’s angular diameter is 32′. Assume that the orbits of Venus and the Earth are coplanar and circular. Do not use any other numerical data. (Hint: find the angular velocity of Venus relative to the Earth-Sun line and as seen from the Earth. The greatest duration of transit is when Venus passes through a diameter of the solar disk.)

Homework Equations

ωVenus - ωEarth = ωsynodic

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept of synodic period, I'm just unsure how to tackle this problem. The transit must occur at inferior conjunction. I know the synodic period, which I can use to calculate the synodic angular velocity as ~ 0.02568 degrees per hour. This gives a maximum transit duration of nearly 21 hours! That's not right.

How can I convert this synodic angular velocity (which is with respect to a reference frame that is co-rotating with the Earth-Sun line) to an angular velocity seen by an observer on Earth?

Please don't be too specific with your hints as this is coursework, and I do want to figure things out for myself. I just need a nudge in the right direction :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try think of this as a purely circular geometric problem. Near inferior conjunction the Earth moves as if it rotates 360 degrees around Venus in 584 days at a distance of 1-0.723 AU. Now think about how much angle the 32' seen from Earth over 1 AU corresponds to when seen from Venus at 0.723 AU and then think about how fast this angle is covered when doing 360/584 deg/day.

Last edited:
Got it now! Thank you :). Just needed to think in terms of Earth's frame of reference - I was trying to solve it from a "top down" solar system model.

1. How long does a transit of Venus last?

The duration of a transit of Venus is approximately 6 hours and 40 minutes. This is the amount of time it takes for Venus to pass in front of the Sun from the perspective of an observer on Earth.

2. How often does a transit of Venus occur?

A transit of Venus occurs in pairs, with one transit happening 8 years before or after the other. These pairs of transits occur every 105-121 years, with the most recent pair occurring in 2004 and 2012.

3. What causes a transit of Venus to happen?

A transit of Venus occurs when the planet Venus passes directly between the Earth and the Sun, with the three bodies being in almost perfect alignment. This alignment is due to the different orbital planes of Venus and Earth intersecting at specific points in their orbits.

4. Why are transits of Venus important to study?

Transits of Venus are important for several reasons. They were historically used to measure the distance between the Earth and the Sun, known as the astronomical unit. They also provide valuable information about the atmosphere and surface of Venus, as the planet's appearance changes during a transit. Additionally, studying transits of Venus can help scientists better understand the orbital dynamics of our solar system.

5. Can a transit of Venus be seen from anywhere on Earth?

No, a transit of Venus can only be seen from certain locations on Earth. These locations are determined by the alignment of the orbital planes of Venus and Earth. For example, the most recent transit in 2012 was visible from North America, South America, Europe, and parts of Africa and Asia.