Astrophysics research at ISRO in India?

In summary, while the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is primarily known for its engineering achievements, there is a separate unit, the Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) in Ahmedabad, that is dedicated to fundamental and theoretical research in astrophysics and cosmology. PRL operates under the Department of Space, of which ISRO is a part.
tanaygupta2000
TL;DR Summary: Theoretical astrophysics research status in ISRO, India

I am from India and want to be an astrophysicist serving my nation. Whenever I check about any ISRO news, it is always about some engineering achievements, like the launch vehicle and never about pure theoretical research in astrophysics and cosmology, despite its name. This concerns me as I belong from a science branch.
So I wanted to ask, is there a well-built room in ISRO for a position of proper astrophysics research, as they have in NASA? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) at Ahmedabad is a unit of the Department of Space (of which ISRO is also a part).

PRL is more focused on fundamental/theoretical research, whereas ISRO is more about technology development and applications, as you have already noticed from news.

Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad

Likes tanaygupta2000
Swamp Thing said:
The Physical Research Laboratory (PRL) at Ahmedabad is a unit of the Department of Space (of which ISRO is also a part).

PRL is more focused on fundamental/theoretical research, whereas ISRO is more about technology development and applications, as you have already noticed from news.

Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
Thank You for the guidance. Much appreciated!

1. What is ISRO's role in astrophysics research in India?

ISRO, or the Indian Space Research Organization, plays a crucial role in astrophysics research in India. It is responsible for designing, building, launching, and managing satellites that are used for various astrophysics missions, such as studying the universe, planets, and other celestial bodies.

2. What are some of the major astrophysics research projects undertaken by ISRO?

ISRO has undertaken several significant astrophysics research projects, including the Chandrayaan-1 mission, which discovered water molecules on the moon, and the Mars Orbiter Mission, which studied the atmosphere of Mars. Other notable projects include the Astrosat mission, which is India's first dedicated multi-wavelength space observatory, and the Aditya mission, which aims to study the sun's corona and solar winds.

3. How does ISRO collaborate with other international organizations for astrophysics research?

ISRO collaborates with various international organizations, including NASA, ESA, and JAXA, for astrophysics research. This collaboration involves sharing data, resources, and expertise to further our understanding of the universe. For instance, the Chandrayaan-1 mission had instruments onboard from NASA, ESA, and Bulgaria, among others.

4. What are the future plans of ISRO in astrophysics research?

ISRO has several future plans in astrophysics research, including launching the Aditya-L1 mission, which will study the sun's corona in more detail, and the X-ray Polarimeter Satellite (XPoSat), which will study cosmic X-ray sources. ISRO also plans to collaborate with NASA for the NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) mission, which will study the Earth's surface and its changes over time.

5. How can one get involved in astrophysics research at ISRO?

To get involved in astrophysics research at ISRO, one can pursue a career in science and engineering and apply for job openings in ISRO's astrophysics research centers. ISRO also offers internships and fellowships for students and researchers interested in astrophysics research. Additionally, one can collaborate with ISRO through research projects or proposals and participate in conferences and workshops organized by ISRO.