Atmospheric stoichiochemistry: what mass of oxygen gas is produced?

In summary: Well, I suppose I couldn't reduce volume and I understand why we do this, mathematically, but isn't only a certain percentage of the mixture water vapour, and thus exerts the same amount of pressure.Two ways of seeing that.1. Starting with Avogadro's hypothesis - you have two gases, each occupies part of the volume.2. Using Dalton's law - you have two gases, each has a partial pressure.In the first case, it is partial volume, but same pressure in each time, in the second case, it is different pressure, but same volume in each case. In neither case it is partial volume AND partial pressure at the same time.
Fifty

Homework Statement

Oxgyen gas generated in the thermal decomposition of potassium chlorate is collected over water. At 24 C and an atmospheric pressure of 762 mm Hg ((101.6 kPa), the volume of gas collected is 0.128 L. The vapor pressure of water is 22.4 torr (2.98 kPa). What mass of oxygen is created.

Homework Equations

2KClO3 → 2KCl + 3O2
P1V1 = P2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't explain it mathematically, but I figured that if the water vapour accounted for 2.937 percent of the pressure, it must also account for 2.937 percent of the volume, which leaves 1.242 L of the oxygen gas.

Of course, that could be the problem right there (my assumption) but let's move on for the sake of this post.

The volume of just oxygen gas is 0.1242 L, pressure is 98.61 kPa (found by subtracting pressure of water vapor from total pressure), and the temperature is 298 K. I used those values to find the moles of oxygen produced (0.004963 mol) and mulitplied it by molar mass to get 0.1587 g.

I didn't have enough time to complete this question on my test, but I still want to answer it, particularly because I have an exam in three days (though I doubt there will be any calculation question this difficult --my teacher told me so).

Thanks in advance for all the help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
To account for water, you can reduce the volume ("separating" water and oxygen) or the pressure, but not both at the same time.

Apart from that, the approach looks good.

which leaves 1.242 L of the oxygen gas.
I guess that is a typo.

mfb said:
To account for water, you can reduce the volume ("separating" water and oxygen) or the pressure, but not both at the same time.

Apart from that, the approach looks good.

I guess that is a typo.

Yeah, that was a typo. How do I correct this approach then?

Fifty said:
How do I correct this approach then?
As I posted: reduce volume OR pressure for your calculation, but not both.

mfb said:
As I posted: reduce volume OR pressure for your calculation, but not both.

Well, I suppose I couldn't reduce volume and I understand why we do this, mathematically, but isn't only a certain percentage of the mixture water vapour, and thus exerts the same amount of pressure.

Two ways of seeing that.

1. Starting with Avogadro's hypothesis - you have two gases, each occupies part of the volume.

2. Using Dalton's law - you have two gases, each has a partial pressure.

In the first case, it is partial volume, but same pressure in each time, in the second case, it is different pressure, but same volume in each case. In neither case it is partial volume AND partial pressure at the same time.

1. What is atmospheric stoichiometry?

Atmospheric stoichiometry is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in chemical reactions that occur in Earth's atmosphere.

2. What factors affect the production of oxygen gas in the atmosphere?

The production of oxygen gas in the atmosphere is primarily affected by photosynthesis, which is the process by which plants and other organisms convert carbon dioxide and water into oxygen and glucose. Other factors that can impact the production of oxygen gas include weather patterns, air pollution, and natural disasters such as wildfires.

3. How is the mass of oxygen gas in the atmosphere measured?

The mass of oxygen gas in the atmosphere is typically measured using a technique called gas chromatography. This involves separating the various components of air, including oxygen gas, and then using a detector to measure the amount of each component present.

4. What is the average mass of oxygen gas produced in the atmosphere?

The average mass of oxygen gas produced in the atmosphere is approximately 21% of the total atmospheric mass. This equates to approximately 1.2 x 10^18 kilograms of oxygen gas.

5. How does the production of oxygen gas contribute to the Earth's balance of gases?

Oxygen gas is an essential component of the Earth's atmosphere and is necessary for the survival of most living organisms. The production of oxygen gas helps to maintain a balanced level of gases in the atmosphere, which is crucial for supporting life on Earth.