Atom Structure: Electron, Nucleus, Vacuum?

• Thread starter i.mehrzad
  • Start date
In summary, the space between the electron in the orbit and the nucleus in an atom is mostly empty, known as vacuum. This means that at the finest level, the entire universe can be assumed to be made of vacuum. This concept is supported by the fact that even if a single atom were as big as the Grand Canyon, the nucleus would only be a small stone at the bottom. This highlights the vastness of empty space in the universe.
i.mehrzad
In the atom between the electron in the orbit and the nucleus what is present?
Is it vacuum? Well if it is so then the entire universe can be assumed to be made of vacuum.

Engineering news on Phys.org
i.mehrzad said:
In the atom between the electron in the orbit and the nucleus what is present?
Is it vacuum? Well if it is so then the entire universe can be assumed to be made of vacuum.
i.mehrzad,

YOU GOT IT!

The VAST majority of space is EMPTY!

There's an old adage that if a single atom were as big as the Grand Canyon; then the
nucleus would be a single small stone at the bottom.

Yes - at the finest level - space is mostly EMPTY.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

All the more room for my ego! :smile:

Related to Atom Structure: Electron, Nucleus, Vacuum?

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the basic unit of matter, made up of a nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons in a cloud-like structure.

2. What is the structure of an atom?

An atom has a central nucleus made up of positively charged protons and neutral neutrons, surrounded by negatively charged electrons in energy levels or shells.

3. What is the role of electrons in an atom?

Electrons are negatively charged particles that orbit the nucleus of an atom. They are responsible for the chemical and physical properties of an element and are involved in the formation of chemical bonds.

4. What is the role of the nucleus in an atom?

The nucleus is the central part of an atom that contains positively charged protons and neutral neutrons. It is responsible for the mass of the atom and plays a crucial role in determining the chemical properties of an element.

5. What is the significance of the vacuum in the atom?

The vacuum, or empty space, between the electron cloud and the nucleus is essential for the stability of the atom. Without it, the negatively charged electrons would be attracted to the positively charged nucleus, causing the atom to collapse.