Atomic density of Oxygen in a composite

emilmammadzada
TL;DR Summary
Atomic density of Oxygen in a composite
Dear experts, how can I calculate the atomic density of Oxygen in a composite of 05 percent PuO2 and 95 percent UO2 (in atoms/barn-cm)? (5% U235 enriched)

Engineering news on Phys.org
emilmammadzada said:
TL;DR Summary: Atomic density of Oxygen in a composite

Dear experts, how can I calculate the atomic density of Oxygen in a composite of 05 percent PuO2 and 95 percent UO2 (in atoms/barn-cm)? (5% U235 enriched)
Usually, one would use a mixed materials approach. One has 5% PuO2 (by weight/mass) and 95% UO2, and determine the number of moles of each. Then the atomic fraction is just the moles of O in the total moles of the mixture.

Atomic wise, one has two atoms of O for each atom of U, Pu, so 0.66 roughly for the atomic fraction. One can find the density based on the densities of the compounds, 10.96 g/cm3 for UO2 and 11.46 g/cm3 for PuO2, which are the theoretical densities (TD) assuming 100% dense, so one may adjust for whatever lower density (e.g., 95% of TD) one expects.

Likes emilmammadzada
Astronuc said:
Usually, one would use a mixed materials approach. One has 5% PuO2 (by weight/mass) and 95% UO2, and determine the number of moles of each. Then the atomic fraction is just the moles of O in the total moles of the mixture.

Atomic wise, one has two atoms of O for each atom of U, Pu, so 0.66 roughly for the atomic fraction. One can find the density based on the densities of the compounds, 10.96 g/cm3 for UO2 and 11.46 g/cm3 for PuO2, which are the theoretical densities (TD) assuming 100% dense, so one may adjust for whatever lower density (e.g., 95% of TD) one expects.
Dear expert, I could not fully understand this answer. Is there a formula to calculate this or a resource that will show how to calculate the oxygen of atomic density in this mixed mixture?Are there any examples on this subject? My aim is to find theoretically the atomic density of oxygen in this mixture.

emilmammadzada said:
I could not fully understand this answer. Is there a formula to calculate this or a resource that will show how to calculate the oxygen of atomic density in this mixed mixture?Are there any examples on this subject?
This is a very basic chemistry problem - the atomic density of a given element in a compound.

One starts with the mass density, the convert to the number of moles or atoms per unit volume.

Likes emilmammadzada
Astronuc said:
This is a very basic chemistry problem - the atomic density of a given element in a compound.

One starts with the mass density, the convert to the number of moles or atoms per unit volume.
Dear expert, can you explain with the example I asked? Just showing the formulation will be enough for me to understand.This subject seems complicated to me, I have a little insufficient knowledge of chemistry.I would be happy if you could explain the question I asked or a simple chemistry example.

emilmammadzada said:
Dear expert, can you explain with the example I asked? Just showing the formulation will be enough for me to understand.This subject seems complicated to me, I have a little insufficient knowledge of chemistry.I would be happy if you could explain the question I asked or a simple chemistry example.
Does one know how to convert from mass (g) to moles (g-mole) to atoms? Is one familiar with Avogadro's number, 6.022×1023 atoms/g-mole?

Density is just mass/volume (g/cm3). To find the number of moles per unit volume, one multiplies by the number moles per unit mass, which is just the atomic or molecular mass.

If I have 239 grams of 239Pu, then I have 1 mole of 239Pu, since the atomic mass is 239 amu. To convert that to atoms, one multiplies by Avogadro's number, to obtain the number atoms in the mass.

It is more complicated when there are isotopes involved, since Pu is usually some combination of Pu-239, -240, -241, -242 and possibly some -243, and U is predominately U-238 with some U-235, depending on enrichment. So one might have Pu with an atomic mass of 239.6 and U with an atomic mass of 237.85.

In the OP example, one has to determine the moles of PuO2 and UO2 in the mixture, using the steps above, then use the stoichiometric value of 2 moles of O per 1 mole of U or Pu. I have given the density for the oxides in a previous post.

Likes emilmammadzada
This is a fairly complicated calculation and you need more information to do it correctly, specifically you need to know the densities (usually in g/cc). You also need to know the "plutonium vector" of the plutonium oxide. Does the uranium oxide contain any U234 or U236?

If you know the densities separately, the process can be briefly described as:
1. Find the molecular mass of the uranium. This depends on the enrichment, which is defined as the mass fraction of U235.
2. Find the molecular mass of the UO2
3. Once you have the molecular mass of UO2 and the density of UO2, you can find the number density of pure UO2.
4. Once you have the number density of UO2, you can back out the number densities of the individual isotopes.
4. Repeat the process for the PuO2. You will need the plutonium composition.
5. Combine the UO2 and PuO2 using the mass fractions given.

Be careful not to mix up mass fractions and atom fractions.

Likes Astronuc

What is atomic density in the context of materials science?

Atomic density refers to the number of atoms per unit volume within a material. It is a crucial parameter in materials science because it helps determine the material's properties, such as strength, conductivity, and reactivity. In the context of a composite material, understanding the atomic density of each component, like oxygen, is essential for predicting the overall behavior of the composite.

How is the atomic density of oxygen calculated in a composite material?

The atomic density of oxygen in a composite can be calculated by determining the volume fraction of the oxygen-containing component and its atomic or molecular density. This involves knowing the molecular weight of the oxygen component, the density of the material, and Avogadro's number to convert between moles and atoms. The formula used is: Atomic Density = (Avogadro's Number * Density) / Molecular Weight.

Why is it important to know the atomic density of oxygen in a composite?

Knowing the atomic density of oxygen in a composite is important because it affects the material's chemical and physical properties. For instance, the oxygen content can influence corrosion resistance, thermal stability, and mechanical strength. In applications like aerospace or automotive industries, these properties are critical for safety and efficiency.

How does the atomic density of oxygen affect the properties of a composite?

The atomic density of oxygen can significantly influence the properties of a composite. High atomic density of oxygen could lead to increased brittleness or lower thermal stability, depending on the matrix and other components of the composite. Conversely, a balanced atomic density can enhance properties like strength, ductility, and resistance to environmental degradation.

Can the atomic density of oxygen in a composite be altered, and if so, how?

Yes, the atomic density of oxygen in a composite can be altered by changing the composition or processing conditions. For example, adding more oxygen-rich phases or altering the fabrication process, such as sintering time and temperature, can modify the oxygen content. These changes can be used to tailor the properties of the composite to meet specific requirements for different applications.