Atoms splitting in a nuclear reaction and Bacterial Growth

In summary: Go back and read you own question. You wanted to find 'records of real events', and those certainly belong to physics, not to maths. Same for cell-splitting, which belongs in biology.
navm1

Homework Statement

Investigate
The number of atoms splitting up in a nuclear reaction
and
Bacterial growth

Your investigation should use appropriate formulae and graphs and include information from records of real events. You should aim to show how good the mathematical models are in predicting real life events and how formulae could be modified to make them better if necessary.

Homework Equations

N=N0ekt

The Attempt at a Solution

The maths is easy enough, I can demonstrate how the formula is made and how we can predict the population at time t or work out time if we have the population already but I am finding it challenging to find 'records of real events' where i can put these formulas to use. Any ideas of where to find these records would be appreciated. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
navm1 said:

Homework Statement

Investigate
The number of atoms splitting up in a nuclear reaction
and
Bacterial growth

Your investigation should use appropriate formulae and graphs and include information from records of real events. You should aim to show how good the mathematical models are in predicting real life events and how formulae could be modified to make them better if necessary.

Homework Equations

N=N0ekt

The Attempt at a Solution

The maths is easy enough, I can demonstrate how the formula is made and how we can predict the population at time t or work out time if we have the population already but I am finding it challenging to find 'records of real events' where i can put these formulas to use. Any ideas of where to find these records would be appreciated. thanks

For the nuclear case, I would suggest you go to a different Forum that is more directly relevant to your questions. Physics Forums has homework subgroups devoted to elementary and advanced physics, as well non-homework groups devoted to nuclear matters, etc.

Ray Vickson said:
For the nuclear case, I would suggest you go to a different Forum that is more directly relevant to your questions. Physics Forums has homework subgroups devoted to elementary and advanced physics, as well non-homework groups devoted to nuclear matters, etc.

i thought that but this assignment is for a level maths (12th grade i guess) so they shouldn't assume any knowledge of physics at all

navm1 said:
i thought that but this assignment is for a level maths (12th grade i guess) so they shouldn't assume any knowledge of physics at all

Go back and read you own question. You wanted to find 'records of real events', and those certainly belong to physics, not to maths. Same for cell-splitting, which belongs in biology.

1. What is an atom splitting in a nuclear reaction?

An atom splitting in a nuclear reaction, also known as nuclear fission, is a process in which the nucleus of an atom splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. How does nuclear fission occur?

Nuclear fission occurs when a neutron collides with a large, unstable nucleus, causing it to split into two or more smaller nuclei. This releases more neutrons, which can then collide with other nuclei, leading to a chain reaction.

3. What is the significance of nuclear fission in energy production?

Nuclear fission is a highly efficient source of energy, as it releases a tremendous amount of energy compared to other forms of energy production. It is also a relatively clean source of energy, as it does not emit greenhouse gases or other pollutants.

4. How is bacterial growth affected by nuclear radiation?

Nuclear radiation can have varying effects on bacterial growth, depending on the intensity and duration of exposure. In some cases, it can inhibit bacterial growth by damaging the bacteria's DNA, while in other cases it can stimulate growth by causing mutations.

5. Can nuclear fission be controlled?

Yes, nuclear fission can be controlled through the use of control rods, which absorb excess neutrons and slow down the chain reaction. This allows for the safe and controlled use of nuclear energy for various purposes.