Australian Open Heat Stress Scale

In summary: I have looked for more information on this index and have not found anything definitive. Anyone know more?
JT Smith
Watching the Australian Open and they use a heat stress rating to protect the players. I've searched for the details of how it is calculated without success. Anyone know the formula that they use? Just curious.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Note that both of these ignore wind speed!
Here is one from the USA National Weather Service:
(https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex_equation.shtml)

The Heat Index Equation

The computation of the heat index is a refinement of a result obtained by multiple regression analysis carried out by Lans P. Rothfusz and described in a 1990 National Weather Service (NWS) Technical Attachment (SR 90-23). The regression equation of Rothfusz is
HI = -42.379 + 2.04901523*T + 10.14333127*RH - .22475541*T*RH - .00683783*T*T - .05481717*RH*RH + .00122874*T*T*RH + .00085282*T*RH*RH - .00000199*T*T*RH*RH
where T is temperature in degrees F and RH is relative humidity in percent. HI is the heat index expressed as an apparent temperature in degrees F.

Just from personal experience, Sun loading adds to the effect.

Here is a different one from the NATIONAL CENTERS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION:
(https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/societal-impacts/heat-stress/)

Defining a Heat Stress Index

When both temperature and humidity are high, humans can experience considerable heat stress. In the U.S., extreme heat may have greater impact on human health (Kalkstein and Davis 1989), especially among the elderly (Changnon et al. 1996), than any other type of severe weather. The combined effects of temperature and humidity cannot be directly measured but can be assessed by calculation of an "apparent temperature" (A). Ignoring wind effects, one can estimate apparent temperature as A (°C) = -1.3 + 0.92T + 2.2e, where T is ambient air temperature (°C) and e is water vapor pressure (kPa) (Steadman 1984).

(above respectively found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=heat+index+formula
https://www.google.com/search?&q=human+heat+stress+index)

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I know there are other examples of a heat index. I was curious specifically about the Australian Open's new index which, near as I can tell, is some sort of secret. Why they would be unwilling to explain how they determine the index value I can't say I understand. But it does take into account wind speed and radiant heat.

Related to Australian Open Heat Stress Scale

1. What is the Australian Open Heat Stress Scale?

The Australian Open Heat Stress Scale is a scientific tool used to measure the level of heat stress experienced by athletes during the Australian Open tennis tournament. It takes into account factors such as temperature, humidity, and wind speed to determine the level of heat stress on the body.

2. How is the Australian Open Heat Stress Scale calculated?

The scale is calculated using a combination of temperature, humidity, and wind speed measurements. These values are then compared to a set of predetermined thresholds to determine the level of heat stress on the body. The scale ranges from 0 (no heat stress) to 5 (extreme heat stress).

3. Why is the Australian Open Heat Stress Scale important?

The scale is important because it helps tournament organizers and medical staff to monitor and manage the health and safety of players during the Australian Open. It also helps players to understand the level of heat stress they may experience and take necessary precautions.

4. How does the Australian Open Heat Stress Scale affect player performance?

High levels of heat stress can have a negative impact on player performance, as it can lead to fatigue, dehydration, and heat-related illnesses. The scale helps players and medical staff to identify when conditions are becoming too dangerous and take appropriate action to prevent any negative effects on performance.

5. Is the Australian Open Heat Stress Scale used in other sports or events?

While the scale was specifically developed for the Australian Open, it has been adopted by other sports and events in Australia to help monitor and manage heat stress. It may also be used in other countries with similar climate conditions and sporting events.