Automatic double lens glasses?

• I
  • Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
Can autofocusing glasses exist?
I think camera lens are two lens that work in tandem to focus or zoom onto the sensor, but I was wondering how great a distance must exist between the lenses to get full range of focus young people have? Certainly can't strap a telephoto length lens to a person's face. Cameras can auto focus and I know they have devices that follow our eye position so it can know the object of interest. At this point such a thing would likely be too expensive, but can anyone imagine it being possible to help those with severe presbyopia?

Science news on Phys.org
A telephoto lens enlarges the image of very diatant objects. Many cell phones have focusing lenses that have moving parts. So that is a small space to fit in. These focus the image onto a nearby sensor.

That is pretty compact. I guess the bigger question is how quickly focus could change between like 8cm and .5 miles to get pretty full young vision range. I will have to look into the camera autofocus and eye trackers.

Without my glasses, I can focus on anything beyond infinity.
I have lost most of the elasticity of my lens, but I only really need three different strengths of lens to fully function. Driving =+2 diopter, inside a room or workshop = +3, or close reading +4.

The accuracy of an autofocus mechanism is not critical, it only needs to handle somewhere near those three values.

The speed of an autofocus mechanism is critical, when I am driving I need to see the road, and the instruments/GPS, all in a cycle of less than one second. For driving, I use bifocals and keep my head level.

Cleaning requires multi-element lenses have only two exposed surfaces, so will need to be sealed.

There are liquid or fluid-filled adjustable lenses, that are adjusted by changing the internal fluid volume/pressure. Google them.

Likes scottdave

1. What are automatic double lens glasses?

Automatic double lens glasses are a type of eyewear that has two lenses in each frame. These lenses can automatically adjust their focus based on the distance of the object being viewed, providing clear vision for both near and far distances.

2. How do automatic double lens glasses work?

Automatic double lens glasses use a technology called liquid crystal lenses. These lenses have a layer of liquid crystals between two layers of glass or plastic. When an electrical current is applied, the crystals align to change the curvature of the lens, allowing for a change in focus.

3. Are automatic double lens glasses suitable for everyone?

No, automatic double lens glasses may not be suitable for everyone. They are primarily designed for individuals with presbyopia, which is a condition that causes difficulty in focusing on near objects. It is important to consult with an eye doctor to determine if these glasses are the right fit for you.

4. Can you adjust the focus manually on automatic double lens glasses?

Yes, most automatic double lens glasses come with a manual override option. This allows the wearer to manually adjust the focus of the lenses if needed. However, the automatic feature is usually more convenient and efficient.

5. How do I care for my automatic double lens glasses?

To care for your automatic double lens glasses, it is important to clean them regularly with a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials. Also, make sure to store them in a protective case when not in use to prevent damage. It is also recommended to have them checked and maintained by an eye doctor regularly.