Automorphisms of Central Simple Algebras - Bresar Example 1.27 .... ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary: A,$ so we can think of $f$ as a map $A\rightarrow A$ given by $f(x)=axb.$Now let's think about $\mathbb{C}$ as a rank-2 vector space over $\mathbb{R}$. Then conjugation becomes easier to think about in terms of matrices:$$z\mapsto\bar{z}\leftrightarrow\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\0 & -1\end{bmatrix}.$$But given the discussion of the previous paragraph (note that $a,b$ are fixed from now on) we should be
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with some aspects of Example 1.27...

Example 1.27 reads as follows:
View attachment 6266My questions on Example 1.27 comprise the following:
Question 1

In the above example from Bresar we read the following:

" ... ... Of course it is outer ... for the identity map is obviously the only inner automorphism of a commutative ring. ... ... "

I have two questions regarding this remark ...

(a) ... why does Bresar assert that "the identity map is obviously the only inner automorphism of a commutative ring" ... surely a commutative ring may have some units (invertible elements other than \(\displaystyle 1\) ...) and so may have some inner automorphisms ... BUT Bresar is asserting that this is not the case ... ...

... can someone please clarify this issue ... (b) ... Bresar seems to be talking about \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) ... but he is referring to "a commutative ring" in the quote above ... but why? ... \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) is a field ... ?

Can someone please clarify what Bresar means ...

Question 2

In the above example from Bresar we read the following:

" ... ... We also remark that it is an element of \(\displaystyle \text{End}_\mathbb{R} ( \mathbb{C} )\) but not \(\displaystyle M( \mathbb{C} )\). ... "I have two questions on this remark ... as follows ...(a) ... ... Bresar proved in Lemma 1.25 (see previous post) that for

\(\displaystyle M(A) = \text{End}_F (A)\) ...

so ... why isn't it true that \(\displaystyle M( \mathbb{C} ) = \text{End}_\mathbb{R} ( \mathbb{C} )\) ... ?

Hopefully, someone can clarify this matter ...(b) ... can someone please explain exactly why the conjugation automorphism is an element

of \(\displaystyle \text{End}_\mathbb{R} ( \mathbb{C} )\) but not of \(\displaystyle M( \mathbb{C} )\) ... ?

Help will be much appreciated ... ...

Peter
======================================================

So that readers of this post can appreciate the notation and the context I am providing Bresar Section 1.5 ( which includes Lemmas 1.24 and 1.25) and also the start of Bresar Section 1.6 ... ... as follows:
View attachment 6267
View attachment 6268
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6269

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Peter said:
(a) ... why does Bresar assert that "the identity map is obviously the only inner automorphism of a commutative ring" ... surely a commutative ring may have some units (invertible elements other than \(\displaystyle 1\) ...) and so may have some inner automorphisms ... BUT Bresar is asserting that this is not the case ... ...

If the ring is commutative, then the multiplication $axa^{-1}$ in Definition 1.26 will always work out to be $x$, so the only inner automorphism of a commutative ring is the identity map.

Peter said:
(b) ... Bresar seems to be talking about \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) ... but he is referring to "a commutative ring" in the quote above ... but why? ... \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) is a field ... ?

A field is a special type of commutative ring, just like a square is a special type of rectangle. The statement is more general when specified in terms of the least amount of structure necessary - in this case the commutative ring structure.

Peter said:
(a) ... ... Bresar proved in Lemma 1.25 (see previous post) that for

\(\displaystyle M(A) = \text{End}_F (A)\) ...

so ... why isn't it true that \(\displaystyle M( \mathbb{C} ) = \text{End}_\mathbb{R} ( \mathbb{C} )\) ... ?

$\mathbb{C}$ is not a central simple algebra over $\mathbb{R}$. Try seeing if you can determine why it's not central (this is why the author makes the comment about $A$ being central).

Peter said:
(b) ... can someone please explain exactly why the conjugation automorphism is an element

of \(\displaystyle \text{End}_\mathbb{R} ( \mathbb{C} )\) but not of \(\displaystyle M( \mathbb{C} )\) ... ?
If it were an element of $M(\mathbb{C})$ then it would need to be expressible as a a linear combination of left/right shift operators. Try looking at an example for a contradiction. For example, try looking at $z=1+i$ and seeing if you can determine a contradiction that comes from requiring

$$
1-i = \sum_{k=1}^{n}a_{k}(1+i)b_{k}
$$

Edit: I made an error in the first post because I was thinking of $a_{k}$ and $b_{k}$ as belonging to $\mathbb{R}$. The idea of looking for a counterexample in the fashion I mentioned is not as simple as I thought. Instead I will say for the time being that it's known that $z\mapsto\bar{z}$ is not a holomorphic function but any function of the form $z\mapsto\sum_{k}^{n}a_{k}zb_{k}$ is.

Last edited:
GJA said:
Hi Peter,
If the ring is commutative, then the multiplication $axa^{-1}$ in Definition 1.26 will always work out to be $x$, so the only inner automorphism of a commutative ring is the identity map.
A field is a special type of commutative ring, just like a square is a special type of rectangle. The statement is more general when specified in terms of the least amount of structure necessary - in this case the commutative ring structure.
$\mathbb{C}$ is not a central simple algebra over $\mathbb{R}$. Try seeing if you can determine why it's not central (this is why the author makes the comment about $A$ being central).

If it were an element of $M(\mathbb{C})$ then it would need to be expressible as a a linear combination of left/right shift operators. Try looking at an example for a contradiction. For example, try looking at $z=1+i$ and seeing if you can determine a contradiction that comes from requiring

$$
1-i = \sum_{k=1}^{n}a_{k}(1+i)b_{k}
$$

Edit: I made an error in the first post because I was thinking of $a_{k}$ and $b_{k}$ as belonging to $\mathbb{R}$. The idea of looking for a counterexample in the fashion I mentioned is not as simple as I thought. Instead I will say for the time being that it's known that $z\mapsto\bar{z}$ is not a holomorphic function but any function of the form $z\mapsto\sum_{k}^{n}a_{k}zb_{k}$ is.
Thanks GJA ... most helpful ...

Still puzzling over the last question ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

Hi Peter,

I realized I was overlooking two critical facts to answer your last question (instead of appealing to holomorphicity) - going to chalk it up to the late hour.

1) When we write an element $f\in M(A)$ in the form $f(x)=\sum_{k}a_{k}xb_{k},$ the $a$'s and $b$'s are fixed.

2) Since $\mathbb{C}$ is commutative, any function $f\in M(\mathbb{C})$ can be expressed as

$$
f(z)=\sum_{k}a_{k}b_{k}z=\left(\sum_{k}a_{k}b_{k}\right) z = wz
$$

where $w\in\mathbb{C}$. Thus any $f(z)\in M(\mathbb{C})$ must have the form $f(z)=wz$ where $w$ is a fixed complex number. Proving the statement now can be reduced to looking at an example. Taking $z = 1$ would require $w=1$ while taking $z=i$ would require $w=-1$.

1. What is a central simple algebra?

A central simple algebra is a type of algebraic structure that is both simple (meaning it has no nontrivial two-sided ideals) and central (meaning all its elements commute with every other element).

2. What is an automorphism?

An automorphism is a type of mathematical function that maps elements of a structure to other elements within the same structure while preserving its key properties.

3. How do automorphisms relate to central simple algebras?

Automorphisms of central simple algebras are functions that preserve the algebraic structure of the central simple algebra, meaning they map elements to other elements within the algebra while maintaining its simplicity and centrality.

4. What is Example 1.27 in the context of automorphisms of central simple algebras?

Example 1.27 in the study of automorphisms of central simple algebras refers to a specific example given by mathematician Branko Bresar in his work on this topic. It is used as an illustration of the properties and behavior of automorphisms in central simple algebras.

5. Why are automorphisms of central simple algebras important?

Automorphisms of central simple algebras play a crucial role in the study of these algebraic structures. They help to uncover their underlying properties and allow for the development of important theorems and techniques in algebraic geometry, number theory, and other areas of mathematics.