Average drift velocity of electron in conduct

In summary: My question is then why is it not always equal to the magnitude of the drift velocity? Is there a reason why the magnitude of the drift velocity would be one-half of the quantity expressed by (E*e/m)*τ?
kelvin490
Gold Member
I have a question on the derivation of the average drift velocity in a conductor: drift velocity is the average velocity which a free charge moving in a conductor has due to the influence of an electric field applied to the conductor. In a metal, the free charge will be an electron. As they move through the conductor, electrons will frequently bump into ions. If τ is the mean free time of the electron, i.e. the average time between successive collisions, then between two collisions, the action of an external electric field will make the electron accelerate by (E*e/m)*τ, where E is the strength of the field (and this strength is constant), e the charge of an electron, an m the mass of the electron.

In common textbooks this quantity (E*e/m)*τ is equal to the magnitude of the drift velocity in the conductor. This confuses, since the quantity expresses the average maximum speed gained by the electron, i.e. the speed it has just before it collides with the next ion. But drift velocity is supposed to be the average velocity of the electron due to the field, so I think its magnitude should be just one-half of this quantity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your claim that "the quantity expresses the average maximum speed gained by the electron, i.e. the speed it has just before it collides with the next ion" is not valid.

Its like you saying that the electron loses all its energy after each collision which isn't necessarily true.

Wikipedia has an entry about Drude model and what happens in the DC case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drude_model#DC_field.

I ve to say that my statistics background fails me abit atm but in Wikipedia analysis it claims that (E*e/m)*τ is both the deviation and the average of the drift velocity (<p> symbolizes the mean value of p if i remember well ).

1. What is average drift velocity?

The average drift velocity of electrons in a conductor is the average speed at which electrons move in response to an electric field. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How is average drift velocity related to current?

The average drift velocity is directly proportional to the current in a conductor. This means that as the current increases, the average drift velocity of electrons also increases.

3. What factors affect the average drift velocity of electrons?

The average drift velocity of electrons is affected by factors such as the strength of the electric field, the type of material the electrons are moving through, and the density of free electrons in the material.

4. Can the average drift velocity be greater than the speed of light?

No, the average drift velocity of electrons in a conductor cannot exceed the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe.

5. Why is the average drift velocity of electrons usually very small?

The average drift velocity of electrons is usually very small because the electrons are constantly colliding with the atoms in the material they are moving through. These collisions slow down the electrons and limit their overall speed.