Average Speed Vs. Direct Average?

In summary, the physical definition of average is the time-weighted average of velocities. The traditional definition is the total of all the values added together.
Simon777
I'm having trouble differentiating between the definition of average in physics and a traditional average.

For example, say a car travels 100km for 2 hours then travels 80km for 1 hour. The average speed for the first portion is 50km/hr and the average speed for the second portion is 80km/hr.

Here is where I have an issue. The average speed for the entire trip is 60km/hr(total distance over total time), but taking a traditional direct average where you add everything and divide by the sum of how many things you added together, I get 65km/hr. Why are these different? If anyone can define these two types of averages for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Simon777 said:
I'm having trouble differentiating between the definition of average in physics and a traditional average.

For example, say a car travels 100km for 2 hours then travels 80km for 1 hour. The average speed for the first portion is 50km/hr and the average speed for the second portion is 80km/hr.

Here is where I have an issue. The average speed for the entire trip is 60km/hr(total distance over total time), but taking a traditional direct average where you add everything and divide by the sum of how many things you added together, I get 65km/hr. Why are these different? If anyone can define these two types of averages for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

We define average speed as v= Total distance /time.It is a physical definition that can be a useful in some situations.We can also define Vav as the average of a set of speeds. This is a statistical definition and can be useful is some situation.For example If we want to find the average velocity of a bullet coming out of a gun we make multiple measurements of that velocity and average it.They are totally different concepts.

Thank you both, these two concepts make sense to me now. To further solidify this in my mind, could either of you state a situation where the physical definition of average speed is useful?

I like the example for the statistical definition of an average with finding an average velocity of a bullet and will remember that, but now I need an example for the physical definition to help visualize these concepts.

Suppose you had to make the trip where you
"travels 100km for 2 hours then travels 80km for 1 hour".
(You worked out the velocities on each leg.)

Could you make the same trip (with same starting and ending positions in the same total time)
with a constant velocity? If so, what is that velocity?

It might help if you draw a position-vs-time graph.

robphy said:
Suppose you had to make the trip where you
"travels 100km for 2 hours then travels 80km for 1 hour".
(You worked out the velocities on each leg.)

Could you make the same trip (with same starting and ending positions in the same total time)
with a constant velocity? If so, what is that velocity?

It might help if you draw a position-vs-time graph.

That's a really good one, thank you. This is my first physics class in college and so far the book has done a good job of explaining the fundamentals, but I agree with you that physics books need to clearly state if there is a different definition for something like average since newcomers like me are used to the traditional definition. Regardless, I'm still enjoying the subject and will keep at it. Thank you for helping me.

1. What is the difference between average speed and direct average?

The main difference between average speed and direct average is the direction in which the measurement is taken. Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken, regardless of the direction of movement. Direct average, on the other hand, is calculated by dividing the displacement (shortest distance between starting and ending points) by the total time taken, taking into account the direction of movement.

2. Which one is a more accurate measure of an object's movement?

It depends on the situation. Average speed gives a more general overview of an object's movement, while direct average takes into account the direction of movement and can be a more accurate measure in certain scenarios. For example, in a car race, average speed may be a more relevant measure, while for a hiker navigating through a forest, direct average may be more useful.

3. Can the two measures ever be the same?

Yes, in certain cases, the two measures can be the same. For instance, if an object travels in a straight line with constant speed, both the average speed and direct average will have the same value. This is because the shortest distance between the starting and ending points will also be the total distance traveled.

4. How do these measures relate to velocity?

Velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's movement. Average speed and direct average are scalar quantities, meaning they only consider the magnitude of an object's movement. However, direct average incorporates direction into its calculation, making it more closely related to velocity than average speed.

5. When would it be more appropriate to use one measure over the other?

It depends on the specific situation and what information is needed. If an overall understanding of an object's movement is required, average speed may be more useful. If the direction of movement is important, direct average may be a better measure. In some cases, both measures may need to be used in conjunction to fully understand an object's movement.