Axial xenon distribution in a PWR

In summary: However, when you shift power towards the bottom of the core, the xenon concentration is shifted towards the top of the core, and the xenon offset becomes larger.
ulriksvensson
Hi all. I discovered a thing the other day that I've known for a long time but never really thought about.

If power distribution is shifted towards the bottom of the core the xenon concentration is shifted towards the top of the core. This is equilibrium conditions, i.e. only very small axial oscillations. Can someone explain this? If you raise power, xenon (equilibrium) concentration goes up. Why doesn't the axial xenon distribution have the same shape as the power distribution at equilibrium?

The difference between the "axial xenon offset" and axial offset vary some with burnup, but overall they are "opposite" in shape. Also, in coast down the tend to meet, suggesting a power level where the axial xenon distribution gets the same shape as axial power distribution.

Thanks in advance.

//Ulrik

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fast-to-thermal flux ratio is one thing that has an effect in that direction: at the top of the core the average neutron velocities are faster; thus less neutrons are captured by Xenon.

Never done any quantitative analysis of the magnitude of that effect, though,

Yeah, that's probably it. Should've thought of that. It also explains the phenomenon at coast down when T-in is lowered.

Fuel temperature is slightly hotter in the top of the core, and moderator density is slightly lower in the top than the bottom of the core. Typical Tin ~ 285-293 C, and exit is something like 320-330 C depending on flow rates and power density.

AO is also affected by burnable absorber distribution. Some plants may have a slight axial offset on the IFBA loading. I haven't heard that for Gad though.

I have had some experience with looking at the Xe swings at BOC. The magnitude is affected by RCCA program and ascension rate. I believe there is also an effect from delta AO between EOC and BOC, as well as outage length.

Astronuc said:
Fuel temperature is slightly hotter in the top of the core, and moderator density is slightly lower in the top than the bottom of the core. Typical Tin ~ 285-293 C, and exit is something like 320-330 C depending on flow rates and power density.

AO is also affected by burnable absorber distribution. Some plants may have a slight axial offset on the IFBA loading. I haven't heard that for Gad though.

I have had some experience with looking at the Xe swings at BOC. The magnitude is affected by RCCA program and ascension rate. I believe there is also an effect from delta AO between EOC and BOC, as well as outage length.

I believe what the OP was inquiring was how can you have a xenon offset different from your axial offset in equilibrium conditions (i.e. steady state, no xenon transient). I agree with rmattila's answer - the reason is that xenon is more sensitive to a harder neutron spectrum than the fuel is. At the top of the core, you have a greater production of xenon compared to absorption, and thus a balanced positive xenon offset.

1. What is axial xenon distribution in a PWR?

Axial xenon distribution refers to the varying concentrations of xenon gas along the height of a pressurized water reactor (PWR). This gas is produced as a byproduct of nuclear fission and can significantly affect the reactor's power output.

2. Why is axial xenon distribution important?

The distribution of xenon in a PWR is important because it can cause fluctuations in reactor power. If the xenon concentration is too high, it can absorb neutrons and decrease the reactor's efficiency. Understanding and managing axial xenon distribution is crucial for maintaining stable and safe operation of a PWR.

3. How is axial xenon distribution measured?

Axial xenon distribution can be measured using various techniques, such as gamma ray spectroscopy or neutron flux monitoring. These methods allow for the detection and quantification of xenon concentration at different heights within the reactor core.

4. What factors can affect axial xenon distribution in a PWR?

The main factor that affects axial xenon distribution is the power level of the reactor. Higher power levels lead to more fission reactions and thus more xenon production. Other factors that can influence axial xenon distribution include the fuel burnup, reactor design, and operational conditions.

5. How is axial xenon distribution managed in a PWR?

To manage axial xenon distribution, reactor operators must carefully control the power level and fuel burnup. This can be done by adjusting the control rods and reactor coolant flow. Computer models and simulations are also used to predict and optimize axial xenon distribution in PWRs.