Balancing Equations: 2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O - 180g of Water Produced

In summary, the conversation discusses the production of water through the reaction of dihydrogen and dioxygen. The equation 2H2 + O2 = 2H20 is used to balance the reaction, and it is determined that 2 moles of H2 will produce 2 moles of H2O, which is equivalent to 180 grams. The question is raised if it is possible to produce 180 grams of water with 40 grams of reactants. The concept of limiting reagent is mentioned as a hint for solving the problem.
draotic

Homework Statement

if 20.0 g of dihydrogen is reacted with 20.0 g of dioxygen , how many grams of water is produced?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

balancing
2H2 + O2 = 2H20
now 2 mole h2 gives 2mole H2O
so 20/2 moles of H2 will give 10 moles H2O
10 x 18 = 180 g
am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You start with 20g + 20g = 40g of reactants, is it possible to produce 180g of water?

Borek said:
You start with 20g + 20g = 40g of reactants, is it possible to produce 180g of water?

the nhow do i do it?

What if you start calculations with oxygen?

Start by finding out the limiting reagent. :)

Sigh. I did my best to not use this term as a hint.

Borek said:
Sigh. I did my best to not use this term as a hint.

Sorry Borek. :)

1. How do you balance the equation 2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O - 180g of Water Produced?

To balance this equation, you need to make sure that there are equal numbers of each type of atom on both sides of the arrow. In this case, there are 2 hydrogen atoms and 2 oxygen atoms on the left side, and only 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom on the right side. To balance the equation, you need to add a coefficient of 2 in front of the H2O on the right side, making the equation 2H2 + O2 -> 2H2O.

2. What is the purpose of balancing an equation?

The purpose of balancing an equation is to accurately represent the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. A balanced equation ensures that the number and type of atoms are conserved throughout the reaction, and it allows for accurate calculations of substances involved.

3. Can you change the subscripts in a chemical equation to balance it?

No, you cannot change the subscripts in a chemical equation. Subscripts represent the number of each type of atom in a molecule and cannot be altered without changing the identity of the substance. Only coefficients can be added to balance an equation.

4. Is it possible to have an unbalanced chemical equation?

Yes, it is possible to have an unbalanced chemical equation. This means that the number of atoms on the reactant side does not equal the number of atoms on the product side. In order for a chemical equation to be considered balanced, it must have the same number of each type of atom on both sides of the arrow.

5. What can you do if the equation cannot be balanced by adjusting coefficients?

If adjusting coefficients does not balance the equation, there may be a mistake in the formula of one of the substances involved. Double check the formulas and make sure they are written correctly. If the equation still cannot be balanced, it is possible that the reaction is not feasible or that additional information is needed.