Ball rebounding to less than initial height

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a ball falling from rest and rebounding upwards. The individual uses the free-fall equation to determine the ball's final velocity and initial velocity, and then calculates the average force exerted on the ball using the equation F=ma. The resulting force is 11020 Newtons. The conversation ends with congratulations and a humorous mention of creating a Norwegian banner.
MattF
Hi, I have a homework problem that's giving me a bit of trouble. I hope someone can help me out and verify whether I'm correct or not :)

After falling from rest at a height of 30 meters, a 0.50 kilogram ball rebounds upward, reaching a height of 20 meters. If the contact between ball and ground lasted 0.002 seconds, what average force was exerted on the ball?

Ok, here is how I went about solving this. Using free-fall equation final velocity squared = initial velocity squared + (2 * gravity * height) (g=9.81), I determined that the ball impacted the ground at 24.261 m/s.

Then, using the same equation I determined that to reach a height of 20 meters it had to leave the ground at an initial velocity 19.81 m/s.

Thus, for average force:

F=ma=(mass*change in velocity)/time=[0.5 kg*(19.81 m/s - (-24.261 m/s)]/0.002 seconds

Force= 11020 Newtons

Phew, am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Looks good to me..

arildno said:
Welcome to PF!
Looks good to me..

Wow, I think you have a new medal:

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
====CONGRATULATIONS===
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I've tried to make a Norwegian banner, but it's a bit difficult :biggrin: .

Thank you..:shy:
I'll start canvassing for your next one in return..

Related to Ball rebounding to less than initial height

1. Why does a ball sometimes rebound to a height lower than its initial height?

When a ball bounces, it compresses and stores potential energy. However, some of this energy is lost due to friction and air resistance, causing the ball to rebound to a lower height.

2. Is there a specific height at which a ball will always rebound to less than its initial height?

No, the height to which a ball will rebound depends on a variety of factors such as the type of ball, surface it bounces on, and initial height and velocity.

3. Can a ball rebound to a height lower than zero?

Yes, if a ball is dropped from a high enough height and the surface it bounces on has a high level of friction, the ball may not rebound at all and instead come to a complete stop or even bounce to a negative height.

4. How can the height to which a ball rebounds be increased?

The rebound height of a ball can be increased by using a more elastic material for the ball, bouncing it on a smoother surface, or increasing the initial height and velocity of the ball.

5. Can a ball ever rebound to its initial height after bouncing?

In theory, yes, but in reality, it is highly unlikely. The loss of energy due to friction and air resistance makes it difficult for a ball to rebound to its initial height, especially with multiple bounces.