Ballet Performance | Ravel's Bolero

• Thread starter Tom.G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, boleros are a genre of music that originated from the one-movement orchestral work composed by Maurice Ravel, known for its gradual increase in volume and intensity. Many people only know it as a particular piece by Ravel, but it is actually a whole genre with a rich history and cultural significance. It has also been used in various events and settings, making it a well-known and powerful piece of music.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Likes pinball1970 and Lnewqban
Science news on Phys.org
Lnewqban said:

Interesting! I never knew bolero was a whole genre, I only knew it as a particular piece by Ravel.

A Google search for bolero has an entry:

What is bolero famous for?
ANd9GcQn7Q66UYtJsP-lJWp8Kq3AB9RKJfcVXM9yyAp-sska&s.jpg

Boléro, one-movement orchestral work composed by Maurice Ravel and known for beginning softly and ending, according to the composer's instructions, as loudly as possible.

I once lived just far enough from my workplace that the drive time was the same as the Ravel piece. The way it builds over the 15 minutes coincided nicely, and effectively, with waking up by the time I got to the office!

Likes pinball1970 and Lnewqban
I thought it was just one classical piece too. Everyone in the UK associated that music with one event after 1984. It is still very moving watching it just now.

1. What is the story behind Ravel's Bolero?

Ravel's Bolero is a one-movement orchestral piece that was composed in 1928. It was originally commissioned by Russian actress and dancer Ida Rubinstein for a ballet performance. The music follows a Spanish dance form and tells the story of a young girl's seduction by a bullfighter.

2. What makes Ravel's Bolero a challenging piece for ballet dancers?

Ravel's Bolero is known for its repetitive and slow-building rhythm, which requires the dancers to maintain precise movements for a long period of time. The piece also requires a lot of strength and endurance from the dancers, as they must perform intricate and physically demanding choreography while keeping in sync with the music.

3. How does the music of Ravel's Bolero enhance the ballet performance?

The repetitive and hypnotic nature of Ravel's Bolero allows the dancers to showcase their technical skills and stamina, as well as their ability to convey emotion and tell a story through movement. The gradual increase in intensity and tempo also adds to the dramatic tension of the performance.

4. What is the significance of Ravel's Bolero in the world of ballet?

Ravel's Bolero is considered a masterpiece in the world of ballet, as it challenges dancers to push the boundaries of their physical capabilities and artistic expression. It has become a staple in many ballet companies' repertoire and is often used as a finale or showstopper in performances.

5. How has Ravel's Bolero influenced other forms of art and media?

Ravel's Bolero has been featured in numerous films, TV shows, and other forms of media, often as a symbol of seduction or passion. It has also been used in other dance performances, such as ice skating and figure skating. Additionally, the piece has been sampled and remixed by various musicians, making it a popular and recognizable piece of music in pop culture.