Basic doubts in vector and multi variable calculus

In summary: First you have to understand what the equation in your OP is saying:If we have ##T## at some point ##T(x_0, y_0)## and we look at ##T(x_0 + dx, y_0 + dy)##, where we will take ##dx, dy## to be small and finite. Then:$$dT \equiv T(x_0 + dx, y_0 + dy) -T(x_0, y_0) \approx \frac{\partial T(x_0, y_0)}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial T(x_0, y_0)}{\partial
Hamiltonian
TL;DR Summary
-
dT.png

If say we have a scalar function ##T(x,y,z)## (say the temperature in a room). then the rate at which T changes in a particular direction is given by the above equation)
say You move in the ##Y##direction then ##T## does not change in the ##x## and ##z## directions hence ##dT = \frac{\partial T}{\partial y}dy##
I don't understand why there is a ##dy## in this equation.
basically, I don't understand how the above equation gives the change of the function ##T## in any particular direction. My books says a theorem on partial derivatives states the above equation but I am unable to find any such theorem(maybe because it is obvious? but if it is I don't see why).

Physics news on Phys.org
This is essentially the definition of the total derivative. I'll give a Physicsy explanation... you can think of it like, ##\frac{\partial T}{\partial x} \Delta x## is the approximate change in ##T## when moving a small distance ##\Delta x## in the ##x## direction, and the same for ##y## and ##z##. If that's not clear, then think back to this statement of Taylor's theorem in one-dimension, $$f(x + \Delta x) \approx f(x) + \Delta x f'(x) \implies \Delta f(x) \approx f'(x) \Delta x$$The total change in ##T## along a small displacement ##\Delta \vec{r} = \Delta x\hat{x} + \Delta y\hat{y} + \Delta z\hat{z}## just going to be the sum of the changes due to moving in all three directions, i.e. approximately ##\Delta T = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} \Delta x + \frac{\partial T}{\partial y} \Delta y + \frac{\partial T}{\partial z} \Delta z##. The exact statement is$$dT = \frac{\partial T}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial T}{\partial y} dy + \frac{\partial T}{\partial z} dz = \nabla T \cdot d\vec{r}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Infrared, PeroK and Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
Summary:: -

View attachment 271587
If say we have a scalar function ##T(x,y,z)## (say the temperature in a room). then the rate at which T changes in a particular direction is given by the above equation)
say You move in the ##Y##direction then ##T## does not change in the ##x## and ##z## directions hence ##dT = \frac{\partial T}{\partial y}dy##
I don't understand why there is a ##dy## in this equation.
basically, I don't understand how the above equation gives the change of the function ##T## in any particular direction. My books says a theorem on partial derivatives states the above equation but I am unable to find any such theorem(maybe because it is obvious? but if it is I don't see why).
You could take an example function ##T## and a small change in ##x, y, z## and compute the change in ##T## and check the above equation is a good approximation for small ##dx, dy, dz##.

PS to keep things simple, do it for a function of two variables.

PeroK said:
You could take an example function ##T## and a small change in ##x, y, z## and compute the change in ##T## and check the above equation is a good approximation for small ##dx, dy, dz##.

PS to keep things simple, do it for a function of two variables.
I am a bit confused about how exactly I can prove the above equation using this method.

say I try to prove it for ##T(x,y) = x + y## are you suggesting I take numerical values and then prove the above equation?

say $$T(x, y) = x + y$$
$$\Delta T = \Delta x\hat x + \Delta y\hat y$$
how exactly should I proceed from here to prove the above equation?
First you have to understand what the equation in your OP is saying:

If we have ##T## at some point ##T(x_0, y_0)## and we look at ##T(x_0 + dx, y_0 + dy)##, where we will take ##dx, dy## to be small and finite. Then:
$$dT \equiv T(x_0 + dx, y_0 + dy) -T(x_0, y_0) \approx \frac{\partial T(x_0, y_0)}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial T(x_0, y_0)}{\partial y} dy$$ where that means the partial derivatives are evaluated at ##(x_0, y_0)##.

And, when ##dx, dy## are differentials, we have equality, rather than a finite approximation.

Likes Hamiltonian and etotheipi
$$T(x_0 + dx, y_0 + dy) -T(x_0, y_0) \approx \frac{\partial T(x_0, y_0)}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial T(x_0, y_0)}{\partial y} dy$$
how exactly are u getting this?

$$T(x_0 + dx, y_0 + dy) -T(x_0, y_0) \approx \frac{\partial T(x_0, y_0)}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial T(x_0, y_0)}{\partial y} dy$$
how exactly are u getting this?
I'm suggesting you test it out as a numerical approximation. And get a feel for why it works.

PeroK said:
I'm suggesting you test it out as a numerical approximation. And get a feel for why it works.
ok,
so if $$T(x,y) = x + y$$
##x_0 = 1## ##y_0 = 1##
$$T(1+dx, 1+dy) - T(1, 1) = 1 + dx + 1 + dy -1 -1 = dx + dy$$
$$\frac {\partial T}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial T}{\partial y} dy = dx + dy$$

ok so the above equation is true but how exactly did you derive it?

ok,
so if $$T(x,y) = x + y$$
##x_0 = 1## ##y_0 = 1##
$$T(1+dx, 1+dy) - T(1, 1) = 1 + dx + 1 + dy -1 -1 = dx + dy$$
$$\frac {\partial T}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial T}{\partial y} dy = dx + dy$$

ok so the above equation is true but how exactly did you derive it?
It's not much more than using the concept of a partial derivative as a rate of change. It should be geometrically intuitive.

Likes Hamiltonian
For example, the single variable case falls out of the definition of the derivative:
$$f'(x_0) = \lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0 + \Delta x) - f(x_0)}{\Delta x}$$ Which means that for small ##\Delta x## we have $$\Delta f \equiv f(x_0 + \Delta x) - f(x_0) \approx f'(x_0)\Delta x$$ Hence the definition of the single-variable differential: $$df = f'(x)dx$$

• Informative
Likes Hamiltonian

1. What is a vector in calculus?

A vector in calculus is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow and can be used to represent physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force.

2. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be represented by a single number, while vectors require both a magnitude and a direction to be fully described.

3. How do you perform vector addition and subtraction?

To add or subtract vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same coordinate system. Then, you can add or subtract the corresponding components of the vectors to find the resultant vector. This can be done graphically or algebraically using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.

4. What is a gradient in multi variable calculus?

A gradient in multi variable calculus is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of a function at a given point. It is calculated by finding the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable and arranging them into a vector.

5. How do you find the directional derivative of a function?

The directional derivative of a function is a measure of how much the function changes in a particular direction. It can be found by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and a unit vector in the desired direction. This can also be written as the product of the magnitude of the gradient and the cosine of the angle between the gradient and the direction vector.