Basic Equation but with Box Brackets

In summary, I am having trouble working out how to use this formula, and I'm not sure if the calculator is getting it either.
EE Nicole
TL;DR Summary
Its really the box brackets together with regular brackets which are giving me issues. Its making it impossible for me to wrap my head around it. Excel and calculators aren't getting it either, although I'm sure its not too difficult. If you could show me how to work it out myself that would be amazing. Thank you
This may be very simple but I'm having trouble working it out and the calculator isn't giveing me the result I need.
Below is the example calculation:
1020000*0.5*[(1.10)1.5-1]= 78382

Here is the one I am having trouble working on
207559*0.5*[(1.10)1.5-1]=

If someone could also show me how to figure it out that would be amazing because I need to use variations of this formula for other numbers.

Thanks you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I observe rewriting it as
=207559*0.5*((1.1)*1.5-1) or =207559*0.5*(1.1*1.5-1)
is successful in Excel to give

Likes EE Nicole
EE Nicole said:
Summary:: Its really the box brackets together with regular brackets which are giving me issues. Its making it impossible for me to wrap my head around it. Excel and calculators aren't getting it either, although I'm sure its not too difficult. If you could show me how to work it out myself that would be amazing. Thank you

This may be very simple but I'm having trouble working it out and the calculator isn't giveing me the result I need.
Below is the example calculation:
1020000*0.5*[(1.10)1.5-1]= 78382

Here is the one I am having trouble working on
207559*0.5*[(1.10)1.5-1]=

If someone could also show me how to figure it out that would be amazing because I need to use variations of this formula for other numbers.

Thanks you!
If you meant ##207559\cdot 0.5 \cdot [(1.10)\cdot 1.5\,-\,1]## then it is always from the most inner bracket to the most outer. The most inner bracket of your example has only the purpose to distinguish ##(1.10)## in this linear notation from ##1.5##. Otherwise we won't know where the former ends and the latter begins. The form of brackets in this context is only to make it easier to read. Inside out is the key, not the form.

However, there is a second possibility here. It could be meant that the first factor is either ##1.10## or ##1.5##, or any value in between. This can't be said without context.

The form of brackets can also mean something completely different. E.g. ##[A,B]## means a certain operation in linear algebra, and another one in group theory. This is not the case here, so your rule remains: inside-out.

EE Nicole said:
Its really the box brackets together with regular brackets which are giving me issues. Its making it impossible for me to wrap my head around it. Excel and calculators aren't getting it either, although I'm sure its not too difficult.
In mathematics, different kinds of bracketing symbols are used: parentheses - (), brackets - [], braces - {}, angle brackets - <>. However, Excel and most calculators recognize only parentheses to the best of my knowledge.

Different brackets are used to avoid ambiguity in pairing.

mathman said:
Different brackets are used to avoid ambiguity in pairing.
But not in Excel, or in many calculators.

There are places where [ ] means rounding down to an integer. We really can't tell without context. ##\lfloor x \rfloor## is a preferred (less ambiguous) notation for that, and Excel will know that as FLOOR(x).

What is a basic equation with box brackets?

A basic equation with box brackets is a mathematical expression that contains numbers, variables, and mathematical operations enclosed in box brackets. The brackets indicate that the expression inside should be evaluated first before applying any other operations.

What is the purpose of using box brackets in equations?

The purpose of using box brackets in equations is to prioritize the evaluation of the expression inside the brackets. This helps to avoid ambiguity and ensures that the correct order of operations is followed.

How do you solve an equation with box brackets?

To solve an equation with box brackets, you first simplify the expression inside the brackets using the correct order of operations. Then, you can apply any remaining operations to the rest of the equation to find the solution.

Can box brackets be used in any type of equation?

Yes, box brackets can be used in any type of equation, including linear equations, quadratic equations, and equations with multiple variables. They are a useful tool for organizing and simplifying complex expressions.

Can box brackets be used in real-life applications?

Yes, box brackets are commonly used in real-life applications, especially in fields such as physics and engineering. They are used to represent physical quantities and prioritize the order of operations in mathematical models and calculations.