Basic question about variational calculus

In summary: I think it’s more common to write ##J(y,y’,\alpha)## but to simplify notation they’ve written ##J(\alpha)## and for the most part it’s fine. When you need to be precise you have to write ##J(y,y’,\alpha)##.In summary, the conversation discusses the correct notation for the derivative of a functional with respect to a parameter. It is noted that the notation ##\frac{dJ}{d\alpha}## or ##\frac{\partial J}{\partial\alpha}## are not correct, as they imply a real-valued function of a real variable. The preferred notation, ##\frac{\delta J}{\delta\alpha}##, is mentioned
Kashmir
We've a functional

##J(\alpha)=\int_{x_{1}}^{x_{2}} f\left\{y(\alpha, x), y^{\prime}(\alpha, x) ; x\right\} d x##

It's derivative with respect to the parameter ##\alpha## is given in textbook Thornton Marion as ##\frac{\partial J}{\partial \alpha}##

Shouldn't it have been ##\frac{d J}{d \alpha}## ?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Kashmir said:
as

Shouldn't it have been ?
for a function of a single variable that is the same

Likes PhDeezNutz and Delta2
wrobel said:
for a function of a single variable that is the same
After the Integral, the function is of only one variable ##\alpha##

Kashmir said:
If I remember correctly the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation requires you to differentiate inside the integral and that’s why it’s still a partial derivative imo.

Kashmir said:

I realize my last answer was sort of superficial. I think I have a better one now.

the functional integrand is a function f(y,y’,x) when you integrate with respect to x it’s still a function of y and y’. Remember y and y’ are not fixed (you’re trying to optimize J with the correct y) so J is still a function of y and y’ after integration. I think this is why you have a partial derivative with respect to ##\alpha## instead of a full derivative.

Likes Delta2
Kashmir said:
Shouldn't it have been ##\frac{d J}{d \alpha}## ?

Neither ##\frac{dJ}{d \alpha}## nor ##\frac{\partial J}{\partial\alpha}## are correct notation if you intend those notations to denote what they do in elementary calculus. In elementary calculus, those notation indicate derivatives that are real valued functions of a real variables. By contrast, a point in the domain of a functional is defined both by any parameter ##\alpha## involved and also by the function where the functional is evaluated. As @PhDeezNutz points out, the derivative of a functional has to be a mapping of the form: (function, parameter) -> number.

For example, if you consider the task of finding "where" the derivative of a functional is zero, you typically have a different job that finding where the derivative of a real valued function is zero. The task for where the derivative of a functional is zero can involve finding conditions on a function. Those conditions can involve the global behavior of the function, not simply the value of the function evaluated at one point in its domain.I notice the article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_derivative prefers notation like ##\frac{ \delta J}{\delta \alpha}## for the derivative of a functional with respect to a parameter.

Likes BvU, jim mcnamara and PhDeezNutz
Stephen Tashi said:
those notation indicate derivatives that are real valued functions of a real variables
yes, and that is exactly the case under consideration.

PhDeezNutz said:
I realize my last answer was sort of superficial. I think I have a better one now.

the functional integrand is a function f(y,y’,x) when you integrate with respect to x it’s still a function of y and y’. Remember y and y’ are not fixed (you’re trying to optimize J with the correct y) so J is still a function of y and y’ after integration. I think this is why you have a partial derivative with respect to ##\alpha## instead of a full derivative.
Then isn't it somewhat lazy for the authors to write ##J=J(\alpha) ## ?

Likes PhDeezNutz
Kashmir said:
Then isn't it somewhat lazy for the authors to write ##J=J(\alpha) ## ?
I think so as well but I’m no mathematician.

1. What is variational calculus?

Variational calculus is a mathematical method used to find the optimal value of a functional, which is a mathematical expression that takes in a function as an input and outputs a real number. It is used to solve optimization problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is variational calculus different from traditional calculus?

Variational calculus is focused on finding the optimal value of a functional, while traditional calculus is focused on finding the optimal value of a single variable function. In variational calculus, the function itself is the variable being optimized, rather than just its inputs and outputs.

3. What are the main applications of variational calculus?

Variational calculus has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. Some common applications include finding the path of least action in classical mechanics, optimizing shapes and structures in engineering, and minimizing energy in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation and how is it used in variational calculus?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental equation in variational calculus that is used to find the optimal function that minimizes a given functional. It is derived from the principle of stationary action, which states that the optimal path for a system is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity related to the functional.

5. Are there any limitations to variational calculus?

Like any mathematical tool, variational calculus has its limitations. It is most effective for solving problems with well-defined boundary conditions and when the functional is smooth and differentiable. It may also be challenging to apply to problems with multiple variables or complex boundary conditions.