Becoming proficient in Symbolic Logic

• Thread starter bodhi dharma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses the rules of implication and various sample problems in symbolic logic. The main focus is on mastering this subject and seeking help and advice. A sample solution for one of the problems is also provided.
bodhi dharma

Homework Statement

I'm not sure where this goes, but I'll post it here, as it seems to be a quasi-mathematical subject.

Anyway, I was doing derivations from conclusions using implication rules, and I was quite confused to say the least.

The rules of implication are: Modus Ponens: A->B, ~B/~A Hypothetical syllogism: A->B, B->C/A->C Modus Tollens: A->B, ~B/~A Disjunctive syllogism: AvB, ~A/B AvB, ~B/A Simplification: A&B/A A&B/B Addition: A/AvB B/AvB Conjunction: A, B/A&B Constructive dilemma: (A->B)&(C->D), AvC/BvD

Now, when I applied these to some problems, I had numerous difficulties. I'm not sure where to begin. Can someone help me out?

Homework Equations

Here were some of the questions:

derive S&N from:

1. (V<->N)&S

2. (GvS)->(V&N)

derive ~Z from:

1. G

2. (G&D)->~Z

3. G->~(Zv~M)

4. (Zv~M)vD

derive A from:

1. R->T

2. RvA

3. F

4. F->(~T&K)

Now my purpose in posting these sample problems is to figure out how to do this stuff, as my skill at symbolic logic is weak enough as it already is. Here's a few more:

derive SvE:

1. (D<->Z)->E

2. Z&D

3. Z->(Xv(D<->Z))

4. X->S

derive GvN:

1. ~U

2. CvB

3. (HvB)->(I&G)

4. C->U

derive K:

1. (XvP)&R

2. P->Q

3. X->Z

4. (ZvQ)->(K&J)

derive ZvU:

1. WvA

2. V&G

3. ~N->Z

4. W->~N

5. (VvH)->(A->U)

derive I:

1. Tv~P

2. ~T&(Q->H)

3. (A->T)&(X->I)

4. (~T&~P)->(AvX)

I hope I'm not boring anybody by posting this, but it's because I'm pretty lost right now and I really want to master symbolic logic and need all the help and advice I can get.

Also, is there any software that can be used to generate proofs? I've heard of logic proof generators, but I'm not sureas to where to find these.

Are there any good books on mastering symbolic logic?

I'd also like to talk to people who have expertise in this subject area as well.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's one attempted solution. The derivation of A:

Pr.1. R->T

Pr.2. RvA

Pr.3. F

Pr.4. F->(~T&K)

Pr.5. ~T&K 3,4 Modens Ponens

Pr.6. ~T 5 Simplification

Pr.7. ~R 1,6 Modens Tollens

Concl.8. A 2,7 Disjunctive syllogism

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll post more when I get back later on today.

I just wanted to say that you have excellent taste in user names.

Related to Becoming proficient in Symbolic Logic

1. What is symbolic logic and why is it important?

Symbolic logic is a method of reasoning that uses symbols and formal rules to represent and manipulate logical statements. It is important because it allows for precise and systematic reasoning, making it useful in fields such as mathematics, philosophy, and computer science.

2. How do I become proficient in symbolic logic?

Becoming proficient in symbolic logic requires practice and a solid understanding of its principles. Start by learning the basic symbols and rules of symbolic logic, and then work on solving exercises and problems to improve your skills. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning symbolic logic?

Some common mistakes to avoid when learning symbolic logic include confusing symbols, not following the correct order of operations, and not properly translating statements into symbolic form. It is important to carefully read and understand the instructions and to double-check your work for errors.

4. How can I apply symbolic logic in my everyday life?

Symbolic logic can be applied in many situations, such as decision-making, problem-solving, and analyzing arguments or statements. It can also be used to improve critical thinking skills and to better understand complex ideas and concepts.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me learn symbolic logic?

Yes, there are a variety of resources and tools available to help you learn symbolic logic. These include textbooks, online courses, tutorials, practice problems, and logic software programs. It is important to find the resources that best suit your learning style and goals.