Beginning Sets: Advice on Set Building Notation?

In summary, the book of proof introduces the concept of sets and provides examples and exercises to help readers learn how to approach problems in a logical way.
Ryaners
I've started Book of Proof, the first chapter of which is an intro to sets.

Q.1
Is there any particular way to approach these kinds of problems, other than using intuition / trial & error? I tend to have some difficulty in working out the best way to express the general term of a sequence, for example (which is essentially the same thing as using set-building notation, as far as I can tell..?). Maybe it's just a practice game - any pointers welcome nonetheless!

Q.2 In the solutions to exercises on set building notation in the book, the letters n, k and x are all used in different cases - is there an established 'good practice' as to which should be used in a given situation, or is consistency within a given problem all that matters?

Q.3
I'd like to check if I've done this particular one right:
The exercise:
Write the following set in set-builder notation: {... , -8, -3, 2, 7, 12, 17, ...}
What I've got:
{(5n+2) : n ∈ ℤ}

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryaners said:
I've started Book of Proof, the first chapter of which is an intro to sets.

Q.1
Is there any particular way to approach these kinds of problems, other than using intuition / trial & error? I tend to have some difficulty in working out the best way to express the general term of a sequence, for example (which is essentially the same thing as using set-building notation, as far as I can tell..?). Maybe it's just a practice game - any pointers welcome nonetheless!

Q.2 In the solutions to exercises on set building notation in the book, the letters n, k and x are all used in different cases - is there an established 'good practice' as to which should be used in a given situation, or is consistency within a given problem all that matters?

Q.3
I'd like to check if I've done this particular one right:
The exercise:
Write the following set in set-builder notation: {... , -8, -3, 2, 7, 12, 17, ...}
What I've got:
{(5n+2) : n ∈ ℤ}

Thanks in advance!

Q1 It's just practice and generally grasping the concept of what you are doing.

Q2. Usually ##i, j, k, l, m, n## are used for integers and ##x, y, z## for real numbers. But, as long as you make clear what the symbols mean, consistency is key.

Q3. Yes, that's right. You could check it yourself just put putting ##n = 0, 1, 2 \dots## then ##n = -1, -2 \dots##.

Likes Ryaners
PeroK said:
Q1 It's just practice and generally grasping the concept of what you are doing.

Q2. Usually ##i, j, k, l, m, n## are used for integers and ##x, y, z## for real numbers. But, as long as you make clear what the symbols mean, consistency is key.

Q3. Yes, that's right. You could check it yourself just put putting ##n = 0, 1, 2 \dots## then ##n = -1, -2 \dots##.

Thanks for the feedback!

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together based on a common characteristic or property.

2. How do I represent a set?

Sets are typically represented using curly braces { } and listing the elements inside, separated by commas. For example: {1, 2, 3} is a set with the elements 1, 2, and 3.

3. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements it contains. It is denoted by the symbol |S|, where S is the set. For example, the set {1, 2, 3} has a cardinality of 3.

4. Can sets contain duplicate elements?

No, sets cannot contain duplicate elements. Each element in a set must be unique.

5. What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A subset is a set that contains only elements that are also in another set, called the superset. In other words, all the elements of a subset must also be elements of the superset. For example, the set {1, 2} is a subset of the set {1, 2, 3}.