Beginning through the Pedrotti optics book -- I have an energy question

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativistic mass and its relation to kinetic energy. The speaker is confused about why relativistic mass is used instead of kinetic energy and also asks for an explanation of the equation P=sqr(E^2-(mc^2)^2/c. The equation is known as the relativistic energy-momentum relationship and can be further understood by referring to the Energy-momentum relation.
universal2013
Hello. I started to work on pedrotti optics book (2nd edition) and i got confused about what is relativistic mass and why we use it rather than kinetic energy (1/2mc^2)?
Also in the beginning of these explanations there is one equation i barely understand nothing out of it. Could you please explain this equation and where does it comes from please?
P=sqr(E^2-(mc^2)^2/c . Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
universal2013 said:
Hello. I started to work on pedrotti optics book (2nd edition) and i got confused about what is relativistic mass and why we use it rather than kinetic energy (1/2mc^2)?
As far as relativistic mass goes, it's rarely used these days. And that's not an expression for kinetic energy.
universal2013 said:
Also in the beginning of these explanations there is one equation i barely understand nothing out of it. Could you please explain this equation and where does it comes from please?
P=sqr(E^2-(mc^2)^2/c .
That equation is the relativistic energy-momentum relationship. Start here: Energy–momentum relation

1. What is the main focus of the Pedrotti optics book?

The main focus of the Pedrotti optics book is to provide an introduction to the principles and applications of optics, including topics such as light, geometrical optics, wave optics, and modern optics.

2. How does the Pedrotti optics book approach the topic of energy?

The Pedrotti optics book discusses energy in the context of optics by exploring the relationship between light and energy, including the different forms of energy associated with light and how energy is transferred and conserved in optical systems.

3. What are some key concepts related to energy in the Pedrotti optics book?

Some key concepts related to energy in the Pedrotti optics book include the electromagnetic spectrum, the energy of a photon, the concept of power and intensity in light, and the role of energy in various optical phenomena such as reflection, refraction, and interference.

4. How does the Pedrotti optics book explain the connection between optics and energy?

The Pedrotti optics book explains the connection between optics and energy by highlighting the fundamental role of energy in the behavior of light and its interactions with matter. It also explores how the principles of optics can be applied to harness and manipulate energy for various practical applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of the energy concepts discussed in the Pedrotti optics book?

Some real-world applications of the energy concepts discussed in the Pedrotti optics book include solar energy technologies, laser technology, fiber optics communication, and medical imaging techniques such as MRI and ultrasound. These applications demonstrate the important role of optics and energy in various fields and industries.