Behavior of a function for large x?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that a certain function approaches a quadratic for large values of the variable. The use of a Taylor series is not possible due to the infinite value at y=0, and the speaker is seeking a recommended resource for this topic. They also mention a specific problem involving the zeta function and a suggested approach using a Taylor series.
pellman
TL;DR Summary
Need to learn how to analyze the asymptotic behavior of functions
I have a problem asking to show that a certain function approaches a quadratic for large values of the variable. And I realize now that this is a skill with which I am totally unfamiliar. Can't use a Taylor series in y= 1/x because the value at y=0 is infinite. Would appreciate a recommended resource that covers this topic.

I would like to post the specific problem but I don't know how to post equations here. Is there a how-to page?

Physics news on Phys.org
A bit more details would be fine. Maybe you could expand it into a Taylor series at another value.
pellman said:
I would like to post the specific problem but I don't know how to post equations here. Is there a how-to page?
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

The specific problem is to show that

## x \sum_{p=1} ^\infty \ln \left( \frac 1 { 1 - e^{-p/x}} \right) ##

approaches

## \frac { \pi^2} {6} x^2 ##

for large x. So we could drop the leading x and just show that the sum is linear for large x. I know that the pi^2 / 6 comes from ## \sum_{p=1}^\infty \frac 1 {p^2} ##

So we have to show
\begin{align*}
\zeta(2)x&\sim\sum_{p=1}^\infty \ln\left(\dfrac{1}{1-e^{-p/x}}\right) \\
&= -\ln\left( \prod_{p=1}^\infty (1-e^{-p/x})\right)\\
&\Longleftrightarrow\\
e^{\zeta(2)x}&\sim\prod_{p=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{1-e^{-p/x}}
\end{align*}
and ##\zeta(2)=\displaystyle{\dfrac{\pi^2}{6}=\prod_{p\text{ prime }}\dfrac{1}{1-p^{-2}}=\sum_{p=1}^\infty \dfrac{1}{p^2}}##

I would start with the Taylor series for ##e^{-p/x}## and try to get an asymptotic behavior that goes with ##1/p^2## in the summation.

If this shouldn't work, I would look for formulas and integration tricks in the realm of the zeta function. There are so many formulas around, that I bet there is one which fits.

Thanks, fresh_42

1. What is the behavior of a function for large x?

The behavior of a function for large x refers to how the output of a function changes as the input (x) increases towards infinity. This can include the shape of the graph, the trend of the values, and any asymptotes or limits that the function approaches.

2. How can we determine the behavior of a function for large x?

One way to determine the behavior of a function for large x is by analyzing the end behavior of the function. This can be done by looking at the leading term of the function, as it will dominate the behavior as x gets larger. For example, if the leading term is a positive power of x, the function will increase without bound as x approaches infinity.

3. What are some common behaviors of functions for large x?

Some common behaviors of functions for large x include linear growth, exponential growth, logarithmic growth, and polynomial growth. These behaviors can also include asymptotes, such as horizontal asymptotes for rational functions, or vertical asymptotes for functions with restrictions on the domain.

4. How does the growth rate of a function affect its behavior for large x?

The growth rate of a function, or how quickly the output values increase as the input increases, can greatly affect the behavior of a function for large x. For example, a function with a higher growth rate, such as an exponential function, will increase much faster than a function with a lower growth rate, such as a logarithmic function.

5. Can the behavior of a function for large x change over different intervals?

Yes, the behavior of a function for large x can change over different intervals. This can happen when the function has multiple terms with different growth rates, or when the function has restrictions on the domain that cause it to behave differently in different intervals. It is important to analyze the behavior of a function for large x over the entire domain to fully understand its behavior.