Below what freezing temperature is it not possible to have frost?

In summary, the warmth of the microwaves kept the heaters on the antenna on until it got colder than -18 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, frost cannot form.
gary350
I once had a job servicing microwave repeater station. About 1000 ft up on the tower are reflectors/antenna they have heaters that came on at 40 degrees F. Heaters stayed on until about minus 18 degrees F then heaters turned off. When it gets cold enough all humidity in the air freezes then it is not possible to have frost with no humidity. I can't remember what negative temperature frost can not form I am thinking -18 degree F but not sure that is correct?

I did online search & not finding the answer probably because I am probably not asking the search question with the correct words. This condition probably has a special name that I don't know.

Science news on Phys.org
Water ice has a vapor pressure, even at low temperatures. If the temperature of a surface is lower than the dew point of the air, then there will be condensation. That condensation is liquid water above 32 deg F, and frost below 32 deg F. While there is very little water vapor in air at low temperatures, there is always some water vapor. There is no minimum temperature below which frost cannot form, but frost is unlikely at temperatures well below zero deg F.

ASHRAE Psychrometric Chart No. 2 goes down to -40 deg F. And here is a paper that gives the vapor pressure of ice for temperatures from 0 down to -100 deg C: https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jres/81A/jresv81An1p5_A1b.pdf. For more information, try search criteria vapor pressure ice.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, berkeman and Bystander
To put some specific numbers to that, at a 30F dewpoint, the absolute humidity is 34 grains/lb (you don't need to know what a gain is, but it is 1/7000th of a pound) and at 0F is 5.5 grains/lb. So there's only 1/6th as much water in the air even available to create frost, and since frost requires cooling the ground below the temperature of the surrounding air, that's a significant barrier to frost formation.

Location is southern Illinois town of Mt Carmel which is 40 miles north of Evansville Indiana. Winter wind does not blow very much it was seldom 10 mph. No rain in winter months. 50 years ago when I lived there once it got cold it seldom got above 35 degree F during the day all winter. Winters now are warmer than winters 50 years ago. It was very rare to have clouds in winter, clear sky with lots of stars unless it was snowing. I am guessing maybe geographical location and weather determined the temperature setting on each and every microwave tower in the USA. Weather 500 ft to 1000 ft up could be different than ground level. We went there once a week to take readings and make adjustments. All I remember is antenna heaters come on at 40 deg F and turned off about -18 deg F. I was told heaters are off when colder than -18 because frost and ice can not form on the antenna it is too cold.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/microwave-jpg.122706/

1. What is the freezing temperature of water?

The freezing temperature of water is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Can frost form at temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius?

Yes, frost can form at temperatures above 0 degrees Celsius, but it is less likely. Frost typically forms when the air temperature drops below the dew point temperature, which can happen even if the air temperature is above freezing.

3. Is it possible to have frost at temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius?

Yes, frost can form at temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius. In fact, frost can form at temperatures as low as -40 degrees Celsius, depending on the humidity and other environmental conditions.

4. Can frost form at temperatures above freezing if the air is dry?

Yes, frost can form at temperatures above freezing if the air is dry. This is because dry air can hold less moisture, so the dew point temperature will be lower. If the air temperature drops below the dew point, frost can still form even if the air temperature is above freezing.

5. Is there a specific temperature at which frost cannot form?

No, there is not a specific temperature at which frost cannot form. Frost can form at any temperature below the freezing point of water, but it is less likely at higher temperatures or in dry conditions.