Bernoullis & Pressure Gradient force

In summary, the more pressure you apply to a fluid, the less pressure is applied to the inside of the ball.
Timtam
The more I learn about Bernoulli's the less I feel I understand it

The problem statement

If I had a ball (balloon) filled with fluid at pressure P being acted on by two opposing forces F+ and F-
upload_2016-10-21_10-44-56.png

F+ being larger than F- there would be a net force accelerating the ball to the right but the pressure P would remain the same.

Now if I was to examine the ball as a parcel of fluid in a continuum and have a higher pressure (HP+) ~ F+ acting on one side and a lower pressure (HP-)~ F- on the other side.
upload_2016-10-21_10-41-33.png
Then I would also see the whole ball of fluid being accelerated to the right but the pressure inside the ball would also decrease from HP on the left side to LP on the right side
My question.
What action caused by the unbalanced external forces , is causing the internal pressure of the ball to decrease ?

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-21_10-40-21.png
    upload_2016-10-21_10-40-21.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
Timtam said:
The more I learn about Bernoulli's the less I feel I understand it

The problem statement

If I had a ball (balloon) filled with fluid at pressure P being acted on by two opposing forces F+ and F-
View attachment 107778
F+ being larger than F- there would be a net force accelerating the ball to the right but the pressure P would remain the same.
Why would the pressure, P, be the same at all points of the ball? I don't believe that.

FactChecker said:
Why would the pressure, P, be the same at all points of the ball? I don't believe that.

Ah ok, I guess I was thinking I was thinking of external forces acting on a rigid incompressible ball not considering what's happening as the rigid ball acts on the internal fluid.

So even inside such a ball as it accelerates from the external forces - the force applied internally (on the initially stationary fluid) from the right is greater than the force on the left
upload_2016-10-21_11-38-9.png

(Represented by my over-exaggerated diagram of the rigid ball being displaced before the fluid)

So the ball contains the same total internal energy but it has been redistributed into an internal pressure gradient reflecting the external forces acting on it ?

upload_2016-10-21_11-45-54.png

is this correct ?

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-21_11-45-30.png
    upload_2016-10-21_11-45-30.png
    965 bytes · Views: 565
That is what I would think. Another comment I have is that I don't see any connection between the internal pressures and Bernoulli. Bernoulli's equation does apply to the external forces onto the surface of the sphere.

What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is based on the conservation of energy, stating that the total energy of a fluid remains constant along a streamline.

How does Bernoulli's principle relate to the Pressure Gradient force?

Bernoulli's principle and the Pressure Gradient force are closely related. The Pressure Gradient force is the physical force that causes a fluid to flow from high pressure to low pressure. Bernoulli's principle explains this phenomenon by stating that the high-speed flow of a fluid is associated with low pressure, and the low-speed flow of a fluid is associated with high pressure.

What factors affect the Pressure Gradient force?

The Pressure Gradient force is affected by several factors, including the density of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the distance between two points in the fluid. Additionally, the shape of the object and the viscosity of the fluid can also influence the Pressure Gradient force.

What are some real-world applications of Bernoulli's principle and the Pressure Gradient force?

Bernoulli's principle and the Pressure Gradient force have numerous applications in our everyday lives. Some examples include airplane wings, where the Pressure Gradient force creates lift, and the carburetor in a car, which uses the Pressure Gradient force to mix fuel and air for efficient combustion.

How do scientists use Bernoulli's principle and the Pressure Gradient force in their research?

Scientists use Bernoulli's principle and the Pressure Gradient force in various research areas, including aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, and hydraulics. They use these principles to study the behavior of fluids in different situations and design efficient systems and structures, such as airplanes and pipelines.