Best algebra skills to practice for AP Calc?

In summary, @jedishrfu recommends focusing on practicing all of the material in "College Algebra" in order to improve one's skills for AP Calculus. This will help to catch mistakes and retain the concepts more easily.
BWV
My HS senior son is taking AP Calc this year and struggled with the first quiz, which was a review of some more difficult algebra - factoring higher degree polynomials, simplifying complicated fractions etc. Ordered him Schaum’s Int algebra for practice problems, but curious about any advice other may have. He gets math concepts fairly easily, but gets tripped up in being able to work problems accurately and quickly (like me)

Physics news on Phys.org
Practice, practice, practice especially focus on the ones that tripped you up.

Have him show you the ones that tripped him up. Check his steps, check is check and carefully identify where he messes up.

I had to do this with my brother, he'd do the problems then the check would indicate it was wrong so he'd go back and "fix" the problem only to later see it was the check that was wrong. He was very consistent there making mistakes in his check likely due to rushing it. Once he saw the pattern, his math got markedly better.

Likes BWV and DaveE
Thanks, what are the more tricky algebra techniques that come up the most in AP or undergrad Calc?

I never took Calc in school, just Robert Ghrist’d MOOC, and it always seemed to be the algebra that tripped me up, even though I had no trouble w algebra and pre Calc in HS and college

BWV,
"College Algebra And Trigonometry" is called "Pre-Calculus" for a reason. Big problem is in keeping the skills and concepts fresh, and that is the reason for "practice, practice, practice" which @jedishrfu tells to do.

Likes BWV
To the actual question of "Which algebra skills to practice"? ALL OF IT! Students should study and review all of what's in College Algebra, at least. Not exactly remember if all of it was needed for use in Calc 1&2, but most of "College Algebra" was either necessary or useful. Do not try to discount any of it. Attention needs to also be given to Inequalities and Absolute Values.

Last edited:
BWV said:
Thanks, what are the more tricky algebra techniques that come up the most in AP or undergrad Calc?
I don't recall anything being terribly tricky. Being able to do basic algebra quickly and accurately is most important. Also, being able to connect a function with its graph is a skill many students could improve on.

I find trig identities are often a weak point for students. A lot of my students seem to have the mindset that they can always just look up an identity when they need one, but from a practical standpoint, that extra step slows them down doing homework and distracts from the point of a problem.

BWV said:
I never took Calc in school, just Robert Ghrist’d MOOC, and it always seemed to be the algebra that tripped me up, even though I had no trouble w algebra and pre Calc in HS and college
After losing a bunch of points on a midterm for just dumb algebra mistakes, I made an effort to improve my algebra skills. Every time I wrote down a line of math, I'd redo the calculation from scratch. This way I generally caught mistakes right away instead of having to wade through a bunch of work looking for errors.

Likes symbolipoint and BWV
BWV said:

What exactly did the part shown in bold mean? Are you an undergraduate student currently?

ADDING: This was a bad question. BWV plainly said, he is asking for the benefit of his son. Why I did not remember what was clearly written in the fairly short, post #1 I don't know.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
Are you an undergraduate student currently?
I assume that he's not (but could be wrong). He's asking on behalf of his son.

Mark44 said:
Yes , that’s correct

Mark44 said:
Right. I forgot what was written in post #1.

1. What are the basic algebra skills needed for AP Calc?

The basic algebra skills needed for AP Calc include solving equations, factoring, simplifying expressions, and understanding linear and quadratic functions.

2. How can I improve my algebra skills for AP Calc?

To improve your algebra skills for AP Calc, you can practice solving various types of equations and problems, review basic algebraic concepts, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

3. Is it important to have a strong foundation in algebra for AP Calc?

Yes, having a strong foundation in algebra is crucial for success in AP Calc. Many concepts in calculus build upon algebraic principles, so it is important to have a solid understanding of them.

4. What are some helpful resources for practicing algebra skills for AP Calc?

Some helpful resources for practicing algebra skills for AP Calc include textbooks, online practice problems, review books, and past AP Calc exams. You can also ask your teacher for additional resources or practice problems.

5. Can I use a calculator for algebra in AP Calc?

While a calculator can be helpful for some algebraic calculations in AP Calc, it is important to understand and be able to solve problems without relying on a calculator. The AP Calc exam also has a section where calculators are not allowed, so it is important to be comfortable with algebraic calculations without a calculator.