Best book for Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field?

In summary, the Lagrangian of a classical (non-quantum), real, scalar, relativistic field is derived from symmetry principles. It can be found using a book by Goldstein or Greiner.
StenEdeback
Hi all experts!

I would like to read about the Lagrangian of a classical (non-quantum), real, scalar, relativistic field and how it is derived. What is the best book for that purpose?Sten Edebäck

Physics news on Phys.org
What aspects that were not covered by your latest thread do you want to know about? There really is not much more to it.

Likes StenEdeback
Well, I am still curious about the formula in the attached file. It is not the same as the Lagrangian that I am used to. My question is really: "How do you arrive at the Lagrangian formula in the attached file? And how do you prove that it is useful, that is describes a physical system?"

Attachments

• Lagrangian density classical relativistic field.jpg
    Lagrangian density classical relativistic field.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 73
Generally, you do not arrive at a Lagrangian. You assume a Lagrangian and from that you compute the equations of motion and compare to experiments. In some cases, it is possible to make educated guesses regarding what the Lagrangian should be based on what you know about a system.

StenEdeback said:
It is not the same as the Lagrangian that I am used to.
It seems to be the standard Lagrangian for a scalar field. What Lagrangian are you used to?

Likes StenEdeback, malawi_glenn and vanhees71
You can use symmetry principles to restrict your lagrangian

Likes StenEdeback and vanhees71
Thank you! I have understood now that you make an "educated guess" to find the Lagrangian and then check if it works. My problem is basically that I need knowledge of classical relativistic fields, so I have now started to read the book "Special relativity and classical field theory" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and that has already spread some light over my foggy thoughts. So, to study Quantum Field Theory I first need to study some Classical Field Theory. It is the same situation as when I started to study String Theory which I was curious about. After a while I found that I needed knowledge about Quantum Field Theory. So I started reading at the top and then needed to go down stepwise. It is still very interesting and fun. And Physics Forums have knowledgeable and helpful people, which is very valuable to me. Thank you so much again!

Likes vanhees71
Chapter 13 in Goldstein's classical mechanics is a decent read.

And then you realize that in order to study this chapter, you need to read many more chapters in that book.
And so on :)

Chapter 2 in Greiners "Field quantization"

Chapter 1 - Tongs qft lecture notes https://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qft.html

Likes StenEdeback and vanhees71
Thank you! I will have plenty to read. :)

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the best book for learning about Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field?

The best book for learning about Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field is "Classical Field Theory" by S. Deser and R. Jackiw. It provides a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of the subject, with clear explanations and examples.

2. Is prior knowledge of classical mechanics necessary for understanding Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field?

Prior knowledge of classical mechanics is helpful, but not necessary for understanding Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field. Some familiarity with the basic concepts of classical mechanics, such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations, will make the learning process easier.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers both classical and quantum field theory?

"Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki is a highly recommended book that covers both classical and quantum field theory. It provides a thorough introduction to the subject, with a focus on the path integral approach.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field. Some popular options include lecture notes from university courses, video lectures on platforms like YouTube, and online forums where experts and students discuss the subject.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in mathematics to understand Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field?

A basic understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is necessary for understanding Lagrangian of classical, scalar, relativistic field. However, the level of mathematical rigor required may vary depending on the specific book or resource being used for learning.