Best material for heat exchanger on a space ship

In summary: It's dumping the heat of the bubble drive, which folds spacetime like an Alcubierre warp drive and that generates significant thermal load!That would be the 'hot leg' of the heat exchanger, right?That would be the 'hot leg' of the heat exchanger, right?Yes, the bubble drive uses a lot of energy and generates a lot of heat.Yes, the bubble drive uses a lot of energy and generates a lot of heat.
Melbourne Guy
Looking for the best material for a heat exchanger exposed to vacuum in a space ship. I've initially gone with radiator vanes that are a ceramic blend and typically operate at twenty-five hundred degrees, but then I started wondering if there is a better material...and now I'm here, hoping for interesting answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Melbourne Guy said:
operate at twenty-five hundred degrees
Which kind of degree?
Pretty high anyway. Where is the heat coming from? Regarding efficiency it's ... just weird.
Ceramics are OK I guess, but what will deliver the heat? Liquid metal? Some gas? How is this coming together?

Hey @Rive, it's an incidental point in the plot, so I haven't elaborated the entire system, and I'm using SI units in the novel but this is a conversation on the ship's bridge so the players do not declare which units are in use.

Rive said:
Regarding efficiency it's ... just weird.
How so?

Melbourne Guy said:
twenty-five hundred degrees
°F, °R, °C or K? The radiator rejects heat to space, so that implies a heat source of a greater temperature. 2500°F would be manageable with a Mo alloy (mp 2883 K), while Nb (mp 2741 K) might be too soft. If 2500°C (Nb would liquid, Mo would be creeping or flowing), the one would have to use a Ta or W alloy (Ta, mp 3269 K; W, mp 3683 K). Ref: W. D. Klopp, "Technology Status of Molybdenum and Tungsten Alloys," Proceedings of the first symposium on Space Nuclear Power Systems, M.S. El-Genk and M. D. Hoover, Eds., Orbit Book Company, 1985. The symposium was held in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

In terms of mass, a Ta-alloy would be preferable to a W-alloy. One might consider one of the ASTAR alloys: 811C, 1211C or 1511C, where the 8, 12 and 15 represent the weight percent of tungsten in the alloy, each with 1% Re, 0.7% Hf (~1%) and 0.025% by weight (mass). The Re provides for some ductility and solid solution strengthening, and HfC provides creep strength (dispersion strengthening) at high temperature.

• Informative
Likes Melbourne Guy and berkeman
Astronuc said:
°F, °R, °C or K?
I'm not aware of the 'R' units, @Astronuc, but thank you for the detailed suggestions, and note that the other side of the exchanger is even hotter. I'll take a look at the ASTAR alloys, I've not come across them before 👍

Melbourne Guy said:
I'm not aware of the 'R' units
°R is the absolute scale, Rankine, related to °F, as K is related to °C. T(°R) = T(°F) + 459.67°, and 1 K = 1.8°R, or 1.8*T(K) = T(°R). °F, °R are in the English system (lbm, ft, s), while °C, K are used in SI or MKS system. The 2500 reminded me of 1371°C (2500°F) or about the melting point of many steels. Ni-alloys are melting by around 1430°C, so at 1371°C, they would have very little strength and would probably be 'flowing' under low to moderate stress.

From Melbourne, I suspect one is thinking in °C or K, but there is a difference. 2500 K < 2500°C in terms of absolute temperature. When applying the Stefan-Boltzman law, one would normally use absolute temperature. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/stefan.html

It might be difficult to locate literature on the ASTAR alloys. Two names to look for are Eugene. E. Hoffman (ORNL and AEC) and R. W. (Bill) Buckman (Westinghouse Astronuclear Laboratory, a division of Westinghouse Electric Corporation) back in the 1960s and 1970s.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19710010916
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19750005014
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19740008105

Melbourne Guy said:
I'll take a look at the ASTAR alloys, I've not come across them before
They are somewhat esoteric as far as alloys go.

Likes Melbourne Guy
Astronuc said:
They are somewhat esoteric as far as alloys go.
Esoteric is good, this is sci-fi, after all :wink:

Melbourne Guy said:
it's an incidental point in the plot
Then maybe it's better to leave it like that.
Melbourne Guy said:
How so?
It's just absurdly high. Usually a (thermal) power plant has a 'hot leg' around a few hundred Celsius at most, and your spacecraft has its 'cold leg' higher without utilization?
Or, if it is the 'cold leg' what's that high, then what would be the 'hot leg' there?
Or is it some heat pump? But that also has some efficiency, the higher the temperature, the worse...
High temperature is good to lose many heat on a small surface, so it can be reasoned, but it's also lost energy and: trouble.

Rive said:
It's just absurdly high.
It's dumping the heat of the bubble drive, which folds spacetime like an Alcubierre warp drive and that generates significant thermal load! Or at least, I've now decided it does, based on this thread 👍

Likes Rive

1. What is the best material for a heat exchanger on a space ship?

The best material for a heat exchanger on a space ship would be a high thermal conductivity material that is also lightweight and able to withstand extreme temperatures. Some examples of suitable materials could be copper, aluminum, or titanium.

2. How does the material impact the efficiency of a heat exchanger on a space ship?

The material used in a heat exchanger can greatly impact its efficiency. A material with high thermal conductivity will allow for faster heat transfer, while a lightweight material will reduce the overall weight of the heat exchanger and the space ship. Additionally, a material that can withstand high temperatures will ensure the heat exchanger can function properly in the extreme conditions of space.

3. Are there any specific properties that a material should have to be considered suitable for a heat exchanger on a space ship?

Yes, there are several important properties that a material should have to be considered suitable for a heat exchanger on a space ship. These include high thermal conductivity, low density, high melting point, and resistance to corrosion and thermal fatigue.

4. Can a single material be used for the entire heat exchanger on a space ship?

In most cases, a single material would not be able to meet all the necessary requirements for a heat exchanger on a space ship. Instead, a combination of materials may be used in different parts of the heat exchanger to optimize its performance and durability.

5. How important is the choice of material in the overall design and functionality of a heat exchanger on a space ship?

The choice of material is crucial in the design and functionality of a heat exchanger on a space ship. The material not only affects the efficiency of the heat exchanger but also impacts the weight, durability, and overall performance of the space ship. Choosing the right material is essential for the successful operation of a heat exchanger in the extreme conditions of space.