Best material to reflect for 35GHz RF

In summary: Use metallic cube corners that are several wavelengths in size. Cube corners are retro-reflective, so incident RF energy will be reflected back the way it came. You can have several cube corners facing in different directions, so no matter the orientation of the target, you will get a good radar reflection back to the source.
PhysicBob
Hello everyone.

This is my first post..

I have been given the task of building some large RF reflectors that will reflect 35GHz RF energy.

Can anyone give me an idea of what material / thickness of material I could use.

For an example.. Would a pyramid made from wooden pallets covered in tin foil do the job?

Thanks in advance..

Science news on Phys.org
My resources are pretty limited. I have an abundance of pallets and aluminium foil..

Can you give us more details of your setup? What kind of RF power are we talking about here? How far from the transmitter will your reflectors be? Will you be using this reflected signal for something or do you just want to keep it away from a certain area? Etc.

Any special reason for 35GHz?
I know this frequency is used by radar, is the idea to make something which is very radar-obvious?

Drakkith said:
Can you give us more details of your setup? What kind of RF power are we talking about here? How far from the transmitter will your reflectors be? Will you be using this reflected signal for something or do you just want to keep it away from a certain area? Etc.
Unfortunately no I can't say. It's an aircraft mounted radar that's about all I can say. The reflectors will be on the surface of the sea. Does that help?

rootone said:
Any special reason for 35GHz?
I know this frequency is used by radar, is the idea to make something which is very radar-obvious?
It's a frequency agile around 35GHz. Yes that's the idea. I'm sorry I can't say much more about it.

These type of threads really annoy me
people that come here for help but cant/wont tell us what the project is all about

how do you expect the good people here to give you decent help ??

PhysicBob said:
It's a frequency agile around 35GHz. Yes that's the idea. I'm sorry I can't say much more about it.

well I suggest you go to the engineers within your company that you can discuss the project withDave

Aluminium foil in simple flat sheets does work but sometimes not very well

Traditional solution is a tethered array of Aluminium beer kegs .

Arrays of bin bags or big plastic tubs stuffed with loose foil strips work surprisingly well .

3D objects usually give better targets than flat surfaces where incident signal can come from any direction and especially for airborne radar detection .

See Skolnik - Introduction to Radar Systems . Mc.Graw - Hill

http://www.theradarreflectorsite.org/Articles/MiscellaneousReflectiveMaterials.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Nidum said:
3D objects usually give better targets than flat surfaces where incident signal can come from any direction and especially for airborne radar detection

Makes sense. A flat panel of aluminum foil would probably act like a mirror and just reflect the incoming signal away from the source unless it was aligned almost perfectly towards the source.

PhysicBob said:
Unfortunately no I can't say. It's an aircraft mounted radar that's about all I can say. The reflectors will be on the surface of the sea. Does that help?

Use metallic cube corners that are several wavelengths in size. Cube corners are retro-reflective, so incident RF energy will be reflected back the way it came. You can have several cube corners facing in different directions, so no matter the orientation of the target, you will get a good radar reflection back to the source.

http://www.discovercircuits.com/DAJ-Schematics/corner.gif
corner.gif

What is the best material to use for reflecting 35GHz RF waves?

The best material to use for reflecting 35GHz RF waves is metal, specifically aluminum or copper. These materials have high conductivity and low losses, making them effective at reflecting and containing RF energy.

What factors should be considered when choosing a material for reflecting 35GHz RF?

When choosing a material for reflecting 35GHz RF waves, it is important to consider its electrical conductivity, surface roughness, and thickness. These factors can affect the material's ability to reflect and contain RF energy.

Can non-metallic materials be used to reflect 35GHz RF waves?

Non-metallic materials such as glass, ceramic, and plastic can be used to reflect 35GHz RF waves, but their effectiveness may be limited. These materials have lower conductivity and higher losses compared to metal, making them less efficient at reflecting and containing RF energy.

What is the role of surface finish in reflecting 35GHz RF waves?

The surface finish of a material is important for reflecting 35GHz RF waves. A smooth surface is ideal for reflecting RF energy, as it minimizes scattering and losses. Rough surfaces can cause reflections and interference, leading to signal degradation.

Are there any special considerations for outdoor applications of 35GHz RF reflection?

Yes, there are special considerations for outdoor applications of 35GHz RF reflection. Outdoor environments can introduce additional factors such as weather, humidity, and corrosion, which can affect the performance of the reflecting material. It is important to choose a material with high durability and resistance to these elements for outdoor use.