Best Physics Books: Kaku, Greene, Hawking Suggestions?

In summary, The "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking is a historical account of the development of M-theory, but is disappointing in the end. Michio Kaku's books are more interesting and have more problems. The "Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is mediocre, and does not have anything particularly interesting about it. The "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman is a good read, and has been described as one of the best physics textbooks. Chronos' suggestion of "Gravitation" by Misner, Wheeler, Thorne is worth a read.
Marco12
I want to get some physics books, I was thinking physics of the impossible by Kaku or Elegant Universe by Brian Greene maybe even Hawking's new book the "The Grand Design"

What do you guys suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have read "The Grand Design" and "theory of everything" by Stephen Hawking and they are quite good.

Other few:
-> Carl Sagan - The Cosmic Connection
->Steven Weinberg - A Moderm View of the Origin of the Universe
-> Elegant Universe(as you said)

Thank you, I will be checking those out.

Actually i have more, just felt lazy to write them down :biggrin:...tell me if you want!

Penrose's Road to reality

I've read a few "physics for laymen" books over the years - by Stephen Hawking, Paul Davies, Carl Sagan.. maybe a few more that I can't remember. All have been interesting but it's a kind of wide-eyed interesting if you know what I mean, I'm no physicist. :P

My favourite is "Genius: Richard Feynman and modern physics" a biography of Richard Feynman by James Gleick, it's a riveting read. Soon after I bought "Six Easy Pieces" by Feynman and thoroughly enjoyed it also, and since then I've bought "The Red Books" a 3 part physics lectures from Feynman and hunted around the internet for any video lectures I could find (there's quite a few on YouTube and other such places). What an amazing person he was and such a good teacher! I don't feel like I understand QED at all (haha! >.> ) but it's fun trying to!

On the topic of biographies, I also enjoyed "Einstein: His life and universe" by Walter Isaacson. He explains a little of the physics and maths along the way, but it's much more a biography than a science text, as is Feynman's.

Adyssa said:
...My favourite is "Genius: Richard Feynman and modern physics" a biography of Richard Feynman by James Gleick, it's a riveting read. Soon after I bought "Six Easy Pieces" by Feynman and thoroughly enjoyed it also, and since then I've bought "The Red Books" a 3 part physics lectures from Feynman and hunted around the internet for any video lectures I could find (there's quite a few on YouTube and other such places). What an amazing person he was and such a good teacher! I don't feel like I understand QED at all (haha! >.> ) but it's fun trying to!
Second Gleick's Feynman bio. That bit about http://www.feynmanphysicslectures.com/remembering-richard-feynman/freeman-dyson-road-trip", etc, changed my view of Dyson a bit when he shows up here in my shop for briefings a few times a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend 'Gravitation' by Misner, Wheeler, Thorne.

Marco12 said:
I want to get some physics books, I was thinking physics of the impossible by Kaku or Elegant Universe by Brian Greene maybe even Hawking's new book the "The Grand Design"

What do you guys suggest?

I suggest avoiding "The Grand Design"- it's terrible. What are you trying to learn about?

Andy Resnick said:
I suggest avoiding "The Grand Design"- it's terrible. What are you trying to learn about?

I want to learn more about M-theory and you know some good read on theoretical physics :)

They tout 'The Grand Design' as being about M-theory, when they mention it about twice through the whole book. I enjoyed it for the history lessons, but it ends abruptly and is quite disappointing.

_Tully said:
They tout 'The Grand Design' as being about M-theory, when they mention it about twice through the whole book. I enjoyed it for the history lessons, but it ends abruptly and is quite disappointing.

I already order it, I want to order another one thought. I really like and been following Michio Kaku, but I don't know if his books are kinda old?

I have 'The Elegant Universe' by Brian Greene. I'd rate it as mediocre, there are some interesting aspects to it (the history of M theory for example) and some negative (terrible god forsaken examples). I would not recommend you spend your hard earned, or freely given, currency on it.

I'd disagree with the above evaluation of The Elegant Universe, but strongly recommend The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene. QED: the strange theory of light and matter is brilliant (popular lectures by Feynman).
The Road to Reality is, I'd suggest, as much about maths as it is about physics. If you get that be prepared to start from the Pythagorean theorem ... and I'd also say that the criticism of The Grand Design is well justified.

As an afterthought, I'd also take Chronos' suggestion of MTW's Gravitation with a pinch of salt- unless you really want to learn of course... :wink:

Chronos said:
I recommend 'Gravitation' by Misner, Wheeler, Thorne.

:rofl:

1. What are the top recommended physics books by Kaku, Greene, and Hawking?

The top recommended physics books by Kaku, Greene, and Hawking are:

• "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku
  • "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene
  • "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking

2. What makes these books stand out from other physics books?

These books are written by renowned physicists who have a talent for explaining complex concepts in a clear and engaging manner. They also cover a wide range of topics, from theoretical physics to cosmology, making them accessible to readers with different levels of knowledge.

3. Are these books suitable for beginners in physics?

While these books may touch on advanced concepts, they are written in a way that is accessible to readers with little to no background in physics. They use analogies and real-life examples to explain complicated theories, making them suitable for beginners who are interested in learning more about physics.

4. Do these books require a strong background in mathematics?

The books by Kaku, Greene, and Hawking do touch on mathematical concepts, but they are not heavy on equations. They focus more on explaining the theories and ideas behind the equations, rather than the equations themselves. Therefore, while a basic understanding of math may be helpful, it is not necessary to fully comprehend these books.

5. Are these books only for people interested in physics?

While these books do cover physics topics, they also touch on other subjects such as philosophy, history, and the nature of the universe. This makes them appealing to a wider audience, not just those interested in physics. They also use relatable examples and storytelling to make the concepts more engaging for readers from all backgrounds.