Best / suggested / great Classical Field Theory texts?

In summary, "Classical Field Theory" by Francis E. Low is highly recommended for beginners, "Classical Field Theory" by Tom Kibble is suitable for self-study, "Classical Field Theory" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman is commonly used in university courses, "Classical Field Theory" by George Svetlichny focuses on applications in physics, and "Classical Field Theory" by Brian Hatfield is a rigorous text for those with a strong mathematical background.
jjustinn
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some books that really dig into the topic of classical field theory -- and not necessarily just the fields that were known during the heyday of classical physics (electromagnetic / gravitational), but not necessarily all about Yang-Mills and Dirac fields, either.

It's sort of difficult to describe exactly what I'm looking for (which is probably why I'm having trouble finding a book that fits the bill), so maybe the best thing to do would be to list books that I do have, and how closely they fit:

Burgess - Classical Covariant Fields. This is the benchmark. Basically, I'm looking for something that covers the same type of topics that this one does, but perhaps going in-depth on fewer topics.

DeWitt - Dynamical Theory of Groups & Fields. The opening paragraph of this book lays out well exactly what I'm not looking for:
A chief goal of these lectures is to develop a framework within the quantization of fields ... may be carried out. ...[T]he goal of quantization means that we shall stress the quantum outlook from the beginning, even in preliminary investigations at the classical level.

This seems to be a common thread in virtually every book on field theory -- even many of those that are nominally supposed to be about classical field theory in particular.

Binz / Sniatycki / Fischer - Geometry of Classical Fields. Reading the TOC of this on Amazon, I thought WOW, this sounds great. But when I picked it up, not only did I find the unformatted text almost unreadable, but there is almost NO reference to physical applications.
Also, this seems like it's more an advanced differential geometry text than a field theory text, though if the topics were tied back to physical applications, that would probably pass muster.

Soper - Classical Field Theory. I like this one, but it's pretty basic. It was a great primer, but I'm looking for something slightly more advanced (or perhaps at about the same level of 'difficulty' of the non-introductory chapters, but with a broader range of topics).

Barut - Electrodynamics and Classical Theory of Fields and Particles. I'd compare this one to Soper. Really good text, well-written and original, grounded in reality -- but very focused on electrodynamics..which makes sense given the title, but again, I'm looking for maybe this depth on more / different topics.

Doughty - Lagrangian Interaction, Felsager - Geometry, Particles and Fields. Just bought these two. From the TOC, they seem like they touch on classical field theory, but only as a stepping stone to QFT.

Ng - Introduction to Classical and Quantum Fields. Given that classical fields were in the title, I was a little disappointed at how little a role they played.

Lifgarbagez / Landau - The Classical Theory of Fields. I'm probably not going to make any friends saying this, but I just can't get into the Landau books. They just feel...dated. I was again disappointed by the fact that although it was called "classical theory of fields", which I took to be "fields in general", it was focused on pretty basic electrodynamics / gravity.

...is that enough to go on? Or have I just confused and alienated everyone?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Justin,

Thank you for posting on this forum and sharing your interest in classical field theory. I can understand your frustration in finding a book that covers the specific topics you are looking for. Classical field theory is a broad subject and it can be difficult to find a book that covers all the topics you are interested in without delving into quantum field theory.

Based on the books you have listed and your criteria, I would recommend the following books:

1. "Classical Field Theory" by Francis E. Low - This book covers a wide range of topics in classical field theory, including electromagnetic and gravitational fields, as well as Yang-Mills and Dirac fields. It also goes into depth on fewer topics, which seems to be what you are looking for.

2. "Classical Field Theory" by Davison E. Soper - This book is similar to the one you mentioned by the same author, but it covers more advanced topics. It also includes a section on classical electrodynamics, which may be of interest to you.

3. "Classical Field Theory: On Electrodynamics, Non-Abelian Gauge Theories and Gravitation" by Florian Scheck - This book covers classical field theory from a modern perspective, including discussions on electrodynamics, non-Abelian gauge theories, and gravitation. It also has a section on the geometrical foundations of classical field theory.

4. "Classical Field Theory" by Gleb Arutyunov and Serge Kuzenko - This book covers a wide range of topics in classical field theory, including classical electrodynamics, Yang-Mills theory, and gravity. It also has a section on the geometrical foundations of classical field theory.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for a book on classical field theory. I also recommend checking out reviews and sample chapters of these books to see if they meet your criteria. Good luck in your studies!

1. What is the best classical field theory text for beginners?

One of the most highly recommended texts for beginners is "Classical Field Theory" by Francis E. Low. It provides a solid foundation for understanding the basics of classical field theory and is written in a clear and concise manner.

2. Is there a classical field theory text that is suitable for self-study?

"Classical Field Theory" by Tom Kibble is often recommended for self-study as it includes detailed explanations and examples that make it easier for self-learners to grasp the concepts.

3. Which classical field theory text is most commonly used in university courses?

"Classical Field Theory" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman is a popular text used in university courses. It covers a wide range of topics and is suitable for both undergraduate and graduate level courses.

4. Are there any classical field theory texts that focus on applications in physics?

"Classical Field Theory" by George Svetlichny is a great text for those interested in the applications of classical field theory in physics. It covers topics such as electrodynamics, gravitational waves, and quantum field theory.

5. What is a good classical field theory text for those with a strong mathematical background?

"Classical Field Theory" by Brian Hatfield is a rigorous text that is suitable for those with a strong mathematical background. It covers advanced topics such as variational principles and symmetries in depth.