Binary operation on equivalence classes

In summary: However, in order to make sure that you understand what is happening, I might provide a more detailed explanation.
PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
Given a set ##M## and an equivalence relation ##\sim## on ##M##, for ##a,a^{\prime},b,b^{\prime} \in M## with ##a \sim a^{\prime}## and ##b \sim b^{\prime}## with a binary operation ##*## such that ##a * b \sim a^{\prime} * b^{\prime}## prove that a binary operation ##\overline{*}## exists that fulfills ##[x * y] = [x] \overline{*} [y]##.
Relevant Equations
None else.
So, my approach and solution are as follows:

$$

[x * y] = \{ z \in M : z \sim (x * y) \}

$$

Since we know that ##a * b \sim a^{\prime} * b^{\prime}## we can rewrite ##z## as ## x^{\prime} * y^{\prime} ##. Plugging this in yields:

$$

[x * y] = \{ x^{\prime}, y^{\prime} \in M : x^{\prime} * y^{\prime} \sim x * y \}

$$

We are also given that if ##x^{\prime} * y^{\prime} \sim x * y## then ##x^{\prime} \sim x## and ##y^{\prime} \sim y##. So once again, we can rewrite the expression to obtain:

$$
[x * y] = \{ x^{\prime}, y^{\prime} \in M : x^{\prime} \sim x, y^{\prime} \sim y \}
$$

With ##x^{\prime}## and ##y^{\prime}## now essentially separated, we can break apart the set into two individual ones with

$$
[x*y] = \{ x^{\prime} \in M : x^{\prime} \sim x \} \bigcup \{ y^{\prime} \in M : y^{\prime} \sim y \}
$$

Now one observes that the two sets are the equivalence classes for ##x## and ##y## respectively. So, we can conclude that

$$
[x*y] = [x] \cup [y]
$$

and comparing this to the assignment, we obtain that ##\overline{*}## is equivalent to the union of sets. Hence, there exists a binary operation fulfilling the required demands.

Now, am I correct here or did I screw up at some point?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsRock said:
Homework Statement:: Given a set ##M## and an equivalence relation ##\sim## on ##M##, for ##a,a^{\prime},b,b^{\prime} \in M## with ##a \sim a^{\prime}## and ##b \sim b^{\prime}## with a binary operation ##*## such that ##a * b \sim a^{\prime} * b^{\prime}## prove that a binary operation ##\overline{*}## exists that fulfills ##[x * y] = [x] \overline{*} [y]##.
I wonder whether something has been lost in translation here. I suspect what you are asked to prove is that the binary operation defined by ##[x] \overline{*} [y] = [x * y]## is well-defined. In the sense that it doesn't matter which members of the equivalence classes ##[x]## and ##[y]## you choose, you get the same result.
PhysicsRock said:
$$

[x * y] = \{ z \in M : z \sim (x * y) \}

$$

Since we know that ##a * b \sim a^{\prime} * b^{\prime}## we can rewrite ##z## as ## x^{\prime} * y^{\prime} ##. Plugging this in yields:

$$

[x * y] = \{ x^{\prime}, y^{\prime} \in M : x^{\prime} * y^{\prime} \sim x * y \}

$$
This doesn't look right. Instead:
$$

[x * y] = \{ z: z \sim x * y \}

$$
PhysicsRock said:
$$
[x*y] = \{ x^{\prime} \in M : x^{\prime} \sim x \} \bigcup \{ y^{\prime} \in M : y^{\prime} \sim y \}
$$
I don't understand what you are doing here.
PhysicsRock said:
Now one observes that the two sets are the equivalence classes for ##x## and ##y## respectively. So, we can conclude that

$$
[x*y] = [x] \cup [y]
$$

and comparing this to the assignment, we obtain that ##\overline{*}## is equivalent to the union of sets. Hence, there exists a binary operation fulfilling the required demands.

Now, am I correct here or did I screw up at some point?
I don't follow this either.

PeroK said:
I wonder whether something has been lost in translation here. I suspect what you are asked to prove is that the binary operation defined by is well-defined. In the sense that it doesn't matter which members of the equivalence classes and you choose, you get the same result.
Yes, you are right. I quoted the statement from my memory and forgot the well-definedness. In that case, is it still recommendable to make use of set notation or should I retreat to use elements?

If it still makes sense, should I explain why I carried out certain steps you said you didn't understand?

PhysicsRock said:
Yes, you are right. I quoted the statement from my memory and forgot the well-definedness. In that case, is it still recommendable to make use of set notation or should I retreat to use elements?

If it still makes sense, should I explain why I carried out certain steps you said you didn't understand?
The result should follow quite quickly from what you are given.

1. What is a binary operation on equivalence classes?

A binary operation on equivalence classes is a mathematical operation that takes two equivalence classes as inputs and produces another equivalence class as its output. It is a way of combining two equivalence classes to create a new one.

2. How is a binary operation defined on equivalence classes?

A binary operation on equivalence classes is defined as a function that maps two equivalence classes to another equivalence class. This function must satisfy certain properties, such as closure, associativity, and identity.

3. What are some examples of binary operations on equivalence classes?

Some examples of binary operations on equivalence classes include addition, multiplication, and composition. For example, in the set of integers, addition is a binary operation that takes two equivalence classes (integers) and produces another equivalence class (sum of the two integers).

4. How are binary operations on equivalence classes related to equivalence relations?

Binary operations on equivalence classes are closely related to equivalence relations. In fact, an equivalence relation can be defined as a binary operation on a set that satisfies certain properties, such as reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity.

5. What are the applications of binary operations on equivalence classes?

Binary operations on equivalence classes have various applications in mathematics, computer science, and other fields. They are used to define algebraic structures, such as groups and rings, and to solve problems related to equivalence relations, such as partitioning sets and determining equivalence classes.