Binomial Expansion: Find (n+1)Ck in Terms of nCj

In summary, (n+1)Ck = (n+1)!/[(n+1-k)!*k!] and nCk = n!/[(n-k)!k!]. Using these expressions, it can be shown that for all n>=0 and for all k, 0=<k<=n, nCk = n!/(k!)(n-k)!.
saadsarfraz
Hi, I've been struggling with this problem for sometime. Let nCk be the kth coefficient in the binomial expansion of (a+b)^n. Find an expression for (n+1)Ck in term of the various nCj. Feel free to treat k=0 and k=n+1 as special cases.

Physics news on Phys.org
(n+1)Ck = (n+1)!/[(n+1-k)!*k!]

vs.

nCk = n!/[(n-k)!k!]

Now (n+1)! = n!*(n+1) and (n+1-k)! = (n+1-k)(n-k)!

thanks for the reply but i don't think that's the answer. The question I posted is the 1st part. The second part states: Using the expression you found, (which is the question i posted) show that for all n>=0 and for all k, 0=<k<=n, nCk = n!/(k!)(n-k)!

saadsarfraz said:
Hi, I've been struggling with this problem for sometime. Let nCk be the kth coefficient in the binomial expansion of (a+b)^n. Find an expression for (n+1)Ck in term of the various nCj. Feel free to treat k=0 and k=n+1 as special cases.

Pascal's triangle: (n+1)Ck= nC(j-1)+ nCj for k not 0.

Related to Binomial Expansion: Find (n+1)Ck in Terms of nCj

What is the formula for finding (n+1)Ck in terms of nCj?

The formula for finding (n+1)Ck in terms of nCj is (n+1)Ck = nCk + nC(k-1).

What is the purpose of using the binomial expansion formula?

The binomial expansion formula is used to expand binomial expressions, which are expressions with two terms, to a certain power. It allows us to quickly find the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

Can the binomial expansion formula be used for expressions with more than two terms?

No, the binomial expansion formula can only be used for expressions with two terms. For expressions with more than two terms, the multinomial expansion formula can be used.

What does the "n" represent in the binomial expansion formula?

The "n" in the binomial expansion formula represents the number of terms in the binomial expression. It also represents the power to which the expression is being raised.

How is the binomial expansion formula related to Pascal's triangle?

The coefficients in the binomial expansion formula can be found by using Pascal's triangle. Each row in Pascal's triangle represents the coefficients for the corresponding power in the binomial expansion formula. For example, the coefficients for (a+b)^3 can be found in the fourth row of Pascal's triangle.