Biological Sciences and Biomedical Sciences

In summary: Most places have first year biology, so you would have to make a decision about the program you want to attend by the time you apply. You have a lot of flexibility in choosing the courses you take, so you can explore different areas of biology.
Priyadarshini
What is the difference between biological sciences and biomedical sciences? In biological sciences, is the main focus ecosystems, evolution etc or is the main focus human biology or zoology?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's generally correct: biology is concerned with all living things and their environment; biomedical science/engineering typically focus on those biological systems with relevance to humans (either health or technology, like biofuels)

Yes, that's my understanding too.

Likes Priyadarshini
Andy Resnick said:
I think that's generally correct: biology is concerned with all living things and their environment; biomedical science/engineering typically focus on those biological systems with relevance to humans (either health or technology, like biofuels)
Is there a field that I could study at undergraduate level that teaches both biological sciences and biomedical sciences/engineering?

Priyadarshini said:
Is there a field that I could study at undergraduate level that teaches both biological sciences and biomedical sciences/engineering?
That is probably a little too broad of a subject. Any program that covered [or attempted to cover] all of that couldn't go into any useful depth. Depending on what you find interesting, you can probably find a good program nonetheless.

Likes Priyadarshini
Typically it's best to start general and then get more specific as you refine your interests and recongize your own skills. So you might want to look for a biology program that allows for various streams of specialization in your upper years.

Any general biosciences course will probably have some scope for various aspects of human biology and pathology. You will probably also have to study general mammalian and plant biology, and some ecological and evolution based topics on a general scale.

Biomedsci is just a specific subset of biosci. Generally if you're interested in human biology and medicine, a general biosciences course will end up having too much unrelated stuff (like I think most require at least 1 course in ecology in the US, although I don't know if this is an accreditation thing or just a common theme).

You'll probably end up doing more chemistry, biochemistry and molecular biology in a biomedsci course (possibly specifically revolving around human biology and medicine bu not necessarily) whereas these would probably be somewhat more ancillary topics in a general biosciences course.

Consider why you're interested in any courses in the biological regime in the first place, and you'll probably find your answer quite quickly.

Likes Priyadarshini
artfullounger said:
Any general biosciences course will probably have some scope for various aspects of human biology and pathology. You will probably also have to study general mammalian and plant biology, and some ecological and evolution based topics on a general scale.

Biomedsci is just a specific subset of biosci. Generally if you're interested in human biology and medicine, a general biosciences course will end up having too much unrelated stuff (like I think most require at least 1 course in ecology in the US, although I don't know if this is an accreditation thing or just a common theme).

You'll probably end up doing more chemistry, biochemistry and molecular biology in a biomedsci course (possibly specifically revolving around human biology and medicine bu not necessarily) whereas these would probably be somewhat more ancillary topics in a general biosciences course.

Consider why you're interested in any courses in the biological regime in the first place, and you'll probably find your answer quite quickly.
Thank you!

Choppy said:
Typically it's best to start general and then get more specific as you refine your interests and recongize your own skills. So you might want to look for a biology program that allows for various streams of specialization in your upper years.
Do colleges offer biology as a course? Most places I've looked at have biochemistry, molecular biology, biological sciences and biomedical sciences.

you'd prob want to start in biosciences of those 4, but assuming you're in the US, you can always just start taking biology classes in freshman/sophmore years then make up your mind after when you have a better idea anyway (and access to the university/department advisors)

Priyadarshini said:
Do colleges offer biology as a course? Most places I've looked at have biochemistry, molecular biology, biological sciences and biomedical sciences.

First year biology is a fairly common course. It's commonly required for medical school admission, so about 95% of first year science students tent to take it.

Or do you mean a biology "program?" In that case, the label may vary, but again, I would imagine that it's fairly common. Start by looking through the course requirements of the programs that you're interested in. Despite different program names there will be a lot of overlapping coursework. Then you can make choices based on the courses that you would be taking.

Purpose of question? General or maybe you are thinking of your not distant future choices?

If latter tell us whether you have a wide choice of University or similar Institutions to apply to.

How soon? Do you have to make choices of Course/Department etc. soon and how much flexibility to switch around later?

Choppy said:
First year biology is a fairly common course. It's commonly required for medical school admission, so about 95% of first year science students tent to take it.

Or do you mean a biology "program?" In that case, the label may vary, but again, I would imagine that it's fairly common. Start by looking through the course requirements of the programs that you're interested in. Despite different program names there will be a lot of overlapping coursework. Then you can make choices based on the courses that you would be taking.
I meant a biology "program". Thanks, I'll look into it!

epenguin said:
Purpose of question? General or maybe you are thinking of your not distant future choices?

If latter tell us whether you have a wide choice of University or similar Institutions to apply to.

How soon? Do you have to make choices of Course/Department etc. soon and how much flexibility to switch around later?

I'm thinking about my not so distant future choice. For a biology related course, I would say I have limited choice, most of which depends on whether or not I get a scholarship. In about a year or so I'll have to start applying, so that is pretty soon. There is not much flexibility to switch around later which is why I want to be clear on the difference between the multiple biology related courses offered by universities.

artfullounger said:
you'd prob want to start in biosciences of those 4, but assuming you're in the US, you can always just start taking biology classes in freshman/sophmore years then make up your mind after when you have a better idea anyway (and access to the university/department advisors)
Thanks!

1. What is the difference between biological sciences and biomedical sciences?

Biological sciences focus on the study of living organisms and their interactions with their environment. This includes areas such as genetics, ecology, and evolution. Biomedical sciences, on the other hand, specifically focus on the application of biological principles to human health and disease. This includes areas such as anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology.

2. What career opportunities are available in biological and biomedical sciences?

There are a wide range of career opportunities in both biological and biomedical sciences. Some common career paths include research scientists, healthcare professionals, and science educators. Other options include working in pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, or government agencies.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in biological or biomedical sciences?

Some important skills for a career in biological or biomedical sciences include critical thinking, problem solving, strong communication skills, and attention to detail. Depending on the specific field, knowledge of laboratory techniques, data analysis, and computer skills may also be necessary.

4. What are some current developments in biological and biomedical sciences?

There are constantly new developments and advancements in the fields of biological and biomedical sciences. Some recent areas of focus include stem cell research, personalized medicine, and gene therapy. Additionally, advancements in technology, such as CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing, are constantly changing the landscape of these sciences.

5. How can I get involved in biological and biomedical research?

There are many ways to get involved in research in biological and biomedical sciences. One option is to pursue a career in academia or industry, where you can conduct research as part of your job. Another option is to volunteer or work as a research assistant in a laboratory. Additionally, many universities offer undergraduate and graduate research opportunities for students interested in pursuing these fields.