Black Lights and plain CFL and Cancer?

In summary, it seems like CFLs might be dangerous if you are using them in a black light setting. You should probably avoid using them in this way if you are worried about health risks.
Jesse44
Hello,

so I have just learned that CFL bulbs fall into the category of producing UV light, including perhaps some UVB in the case of black lights.

I have had a black light bulb and a blue CFL running in my bedroom for almost two years now. I often fall asleep with the lights on, sometimes nude or nearly so...

Given what I have read about these in relation to cancer, I am now feeling very worried about the health risks. I am a 22 year old male from Canada, in otherwise pretty good standing. I have had fluoroscopic exposure to x-rays when I was younger during 5-6 voiding cystourethrograms which adds to my worry. That's on top of average amounts of other plan x-rays and things like that.

Anyways, this is the only link to some info on the exacta bulb I had in my room for the time:

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/0525146P/blue-planet-blue-planet-13w-mini-cfl-bulb-black-reviews/reviews.htm

Can anyone help me to better understand how (or how not) dangerous being exposed to two of these bulbs for hours each day is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
The skin shows an indication of the amount of UV received: did you get a sunburn?

The sun at zenit leads to ~30W/m^2 UV radiation. The value is lower if the sun is lower.

If your light bulb would convert 10% of its electric input power to UV light (probably a large overestimate) and emits it in all directions, and if you are 2m away, this corresponds to ~0.025 W/m^2. 3 orders of magnitude below the power of the sun. The frequency spectrum could be different, but I think that is a large safety factor.

Jesse44 said:
Hello,

so I have just learned that CFL bulbs fall into the category of producing UV light, including perhaps some UVB in the case of black lights.

Where did you learn this? What is the source?

Zz.

I know Wikipedia isn't the best source of information always, but it says that some of the escaping light falls under UVB.

"Although black lights produce light in the UV range, their spectrum is mostly confined to the longwave UVA region, that is, UV radiation nearest in wavelength to visible light, with low frequency and therefore relatively low energy. While low, there is still some power of a conventional black light in the UVB range."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light

mfb, thank you for your response. Can you elaborate more on what you meant by the frequency spectrum being a large safety factor? Keep in mind i had two of these things running at the same time for a couple of years.

Another thing I am trying to make sense of is this statement:

"Since black light, for the most part, is not visible, it is very difficult to gauge its intensity. According to a study conducted by the International Radiation Protection Association, the limit for exposure to an ultraviolet wave of 60 joules/meter is eight hours. Considering that the average 40-watt black light bulb produces 40 joules each second (which we then divide by the walls and ceiling of the space) this puts the average "exposure rate" being reached within a half hour or less."

From this article: http://www.ehow.com/about_5566929_black-lights-dangerous.html

Jesse44 said:
"Although black lights produce light in the UV range, their spectrum is mostly confined to the longwave UVA region, that is, UV radiation nearest in wavelength to visible light, with low frequency and therefore relatively low energy. While low, there is still some power of a conventional black light in the UVB range."
Even better.
mfb, thank you for your response. Can you elaborate more on what you meant by the frequency spectrum being a large safety factor?
That's not what I meant. The huge safety factor is the different intensity. Walking around outside on a really cloudy dark day still gives more UV intensity than the light.
Keep in mind i had two of these things running at the same time for a couple of years.
The UV power is negligible.The numbers on the ehow site do not make sense at all, a clear indication that you can ignore what they write.

UV sources that are used in clubs and parties do not have any visible effect when used outside during the day. That, to me, is pretty good evidence that the amount of UV they produce must be quite a bit less than what is present in normal sunlight. But, of course, a lot of exposure directly to the Sun is dangerous.

What is a black light and how does it work?

A black light is a type of light that emits mostly ultraviolet (UV) radiation. This UV light is invisible to the human eye, but it causes certain materials to glow or fluoresce. This is because the UV light causes the electrons in the material to move to a higher energy state, and when they return to their normal state, they emit visible light. Black lights work by using a special filter that blocks most of the visible light and allows only the UV light to pass through.

Can black lights cause cancer?

There is no evidence to suggest that black lights can cause cancer. The UV radiation emitted by black lights is in the long-wave UVA range, which is considered to be relatively harmless. However, it is still recommended to limit exposure to black lights, especially for extended periods of time, as with any type of UV light.

What is a plain CFL and how is it different from a black light?

A plain CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) is a type of energy-efficient light bulb that uses fluorescent technology to produce light. It does not emit UV light like a black light does. Instead, it uses a mix of phosphors to convert the electricity into visible light. This results in a more evenly distributed light compared to a black light, which is more focused in the UV range.

Is it true that CFLs can cause cancer?

There is no evidence to suggest that CFLs can cause cancer. CFLs do contain a small amount of mercury, which is a toxic substance. However, the amount of mercury is very low and only poses a risk if the bulb is broken or not disposed of properly. As long as CFLs are used and disposed of correctly, they do not pose a significant health risk.

Do black lights or CFLs emit harmful levels of UV radiation?

Black lights do emit UV radiation, but the levels are considered safe for normal use. However, it is recommended to limit exposure to black lights and not to use them for extended periods of time. CFLs do not emit harmful levels of UV radiation, as the phosphors used in the bulb convert most of the UV light into visible light. As long as the CFL is not damaged, it does not pose a risk of UV exposure.