Blackbody emissivity different to thermometers

In summary, to correct for the differences in emissivity between the blackbody and thermometer, you can use a correction factor calculated by dividing the blackbody emissivity by the thermometer emissivity.
beth12
I am doing some research on thermometers and have a blackbody to test some infrared ones. Unfortunately the blackbody has an emissivity of 0.97 +/- 0.02 and the thermometer has an emissivity of approximately 0.96? How do I correct for the differences?

I have had a quick look online and other forum questions but I haven't been able to find anything relevant as most say change the value on the thermometer but this is not possible in this case.

I would be grateful of any advice or help as I want to make sure my calculations are correct.

Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
for your time.In order to correct for the differences in emissivity, you may need to use a correction factor. This correction factor would be the ratio of the blackbody emissivity (0.97 +/- 0.02) to the thermometer emissivity (0.96). Since the thermometer emissivity is slightly lower than the blackbody emissivity, the correction factor will be slightly greater than 1. To calculate the correction factor, simply divide the blackbody emissivity by the thermometer emissivity. For example, if the blackbody emissivity is 0.97 and the thermometer emissivity is 0.96, then the correction factor would be 0.97/0.96 = 1.0104. You can then use this correction factor to adjust the readings from the thermometer to account for the difference in emissivity.

1. What is blackbody emissivity?

Blackbody emissivity is a measure of how efficiently a material emits thermal radiation. It is represented by a value between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates a perfect reflector and 1 indicates a perfect emitter.

2. How is blackbody emissivity different from thermometers?

Thermometers measure the temperature of an object by using a temperature scale, whereas blackbody emissivity is a physical property of a material that affects its thermal radiation emission. In other words, blackbody emissivity is a characteristic of the material itself, while thermometers are devices used to measure temperature.

3. What factors affect blackbody emissivity?

The surface texture, color, and material composition of an object can all affect its blackbody emissivity. Rougher surfaces and darker colors tend to have higher emissivity values, while smoother surfaces and lighter colors have lower emissivity values.

4. How is blackbody emissivity used in science?

Blackbody emissivity is an important concept in thermodynamics and radiative heat transfer. It is used to calculate the amount of radiation emitted by an object, and is also used in the design of thermal insulation materials and devices.

5. Can blackbody emissivity be changed?

Yes, blackbody emissivity can be changed by altering the surface properties of an object. For example, painting a surface with a darker color can increase its emissivity, while polishing a surface can decrease its emissivity.