Blood Moon (Concept): Discovering Ferron & Terrelectra

In summary: a terrestrial moon. The planet does not exist on any of the navigational charts, because the nature of the planet was undetectable from earth. The moon is almost a perfect twin of earth, except no plants, and no light (both due to the lack of a star) the massive amounts of breathable oxygen in the atmosphere comes from electrolysis that come from natural occurring batteries that ionize and separate water.Radiation, tidal forces from the gas planet, alongside the moon's hot iron/nikel,and the moon's moon like satellite keep the moon between 10°-20° C.I wasn't going to name the planet or the moon till later, but I find myself wanting to call the moon
Skyland
This is the official thread for my scifi project Blood Moon (running name, likely to change)

**Since my earlier thread got moved here, I might as use this new thread as a starting point for the whole project, and limit usage of the other threads for more specific inquiries about certain sciences so they don't get moved before I get enough answers.**

Initial Summary: In the distant future, in the time of space colonization, a colonization vessel on it's way to a solar system far from Earth accidentally stumbles onto an interstellar gas giant with a terrestrial moon. The planet does not exist on any of the navigational charts, because the nature of the planet was undetectable from earth. The moon is almost a perfect twin of earth, except no plants, and no light (both due to the lack of a star) the massive amounts of breathable oxygen in the atmosphere comes from electrolysis that come from natural occurring batteries that ionize and separate water.
Radiation, tidal forces from the gas planet, alongside the moon's hot iron/nikel,and the moon's moon like satellite keep the moon between 10°-20° C.

I wasn't going to name the planet or the moon till later, but I find myself wanting to call the moon a planet, and the sub brown dwarf gas planet a star, (because it is basicly functioning as one) so I've decided to come up with names, that can be changed later in the story, when the colonists decide to name them. I Also created quick conceptual images in blender
received_2732481436780556.png

I've decided to call the rogue planet Ferron, Due to its dense multi metal core and hydrogen atmosphere, the metalic surface is also heavily rusted (all oxygen in bound as iron oxide) , and the red dust is swept in massive storms giving the planet a red atmosphere.
received_2096984577267033.png

Ferron's terrestrial moon, I was thinking of something like terraluna/lunaterra for a more literal name, but they didn't quite fit my fancy. I began thinking of it's natural electrolysis and found the name Terrelectra fitting as at least a temporary name.
received_2263495530558360.png

Terrelectra will also have a satellite with an elliptical orbit, tidal influences, it will consist mostly phosphorous, silicon, and dust originating from Ferron's Ring (to be conceptualized later with a particle system in unity) Giving it a red crystalline surface, made mostly of Hutematite and Quartz. The moonlet will be named Sanguis, the Latin word for blood. (Sanquis has yet to be conceptualized)

Likes Bandersnatch
Physics news on Phys.org
As a writer, is it a good idea to give away your naming of things on a public forum?

Personally, I wouldn’t. It means you can’t copyright them and so others could theoretically use them in their stories.

Likes pinball1970
jedishrfu said:
It means you can’t copyright them

Copyright is asserted by the post, though the social media site terms and conditions usually impose a right-to-use clause (PF does this, but their assigned rights are light touch compared to some other sites). So the issue really is tackling a third party who violates your copyright, which is pretty much impossible for a self-published author who is not independently wealthy. But you have the same issue once the story is published in full, so it's probably a smaller risk to post snippets on social media than a fully elaborated exposition in the novel, assuming anyone does want to steal your creative output.

But I'm more bemused that while this post is tagged with "Writing: Input Wanted", @Skyland is not actually asking a question!

Likes Skyland and jedishrfu
Tghu Verd said:
But I'm more bemused that while this post is tagged with "Writing: Input Wanted", @Skyland is not actually asking a question!

is all input answers to a question? Can't some imput be ideas shared without questions asked? I have many questions to ask, but where to start? This is a new project and in mostly trying to get opinions and information regarding plausibility, possibility, and commentary on what can be done to make it believable, I will update the post soon, and scatter questions throughout, while also expanding the story.

I'm not worried about copyright, not now, the completed story is probably going to be an animated YouTube movie that gets no views, its more an art project for myself

I rather like the setup. There's something alluring about lightless worlds in the void.
This is mostly just posting to watch. But I'm also wondering about the viability of that temperature, or of that moonmoon being stable.
And it's probably better to not think too hard about how the whole system came to be.

Also, is hutematite a typo?

Skyland said:
Can't some imput be ideas shared without questions asked?

Sure, if you like, just your post seemed a dump of a concept with no direction to prompt anyone to comment.

Skyland said:
In the distant future, in the time of space colonization, a colonization vessel on it's way to a solar system far from Earth accidentally stumbles onto an interstellar gas giant with a terrestrial moon

So sublight travel then? But if we're traveling sublight, we won't be too far from Earth so we'd already know about this system. Or, if we're using FTL, it needs to be a kind that allows a ship to see the universe as it travels, otherwise nobody will spot the planet, so perhaps an Alcubierre drive rather than traditional warp drive?

And how far away is this system, because we're very good at detecting brown dwarfs now and if we're colonizing, our ability to search the skies will be dramatically improved, esp. for traffic control reasons - don't want the ships hitting stuff en route. Also, each new colony is going to be also searching the skies, widening the information net. Point is, not sure how realistic it is that a colony ship will 'stumble' over a rogue like this, seems a bit contrived.

Skyland said:
The moon is almost a perfect twin of earth, except no plants, and no light

So not really a twin of Earth then 😄 But apart from stripping it of mineral resources (and if we're colonizing, mineral resources are going to be in abundance), Why is this rogue of interest? I'd imagine people won't want to live on a lightless world, so who would migrate there? Plus, tidal forces make for an uncertain environment. Though that might attract a few thrill seekers and scientists. Or is the plan to tow it back to a solar system with a sun and then colonize it?That would be a massive and interesting engineering project! Or is this like Modesitt's The Eternity Artefact and the planet has proof of alien life?

Tghu Verd said:
So sublight travel then? But if we're traveling sublight, we won't be too far from Earth so we'd already know about this system. Or, if we're using FTL, it needs to be a kind that allows a ship to see the universe as it travels, otherwise nobody will spot the planet, so perhaps an Alcubierre drive rather than traditional warp drive?
I was thinking of having a system that's fast as /faster than life, but it can't run continuously, only making jumps before the energy core has to be replaced, and having cyborg clone engineers who do maintenance to the engine as well as checks surrounding space for safe jump calculations.

Skyland said:
cyborg clone engineers

is another concept that may change, because it seems very unlikely, I just like the concept of having the efficiency of a machine combined with human elements of decision making, skill, curiosity etc.

Tghu Verd said:
So not really a twin of Earth then 😄 But apart from stripping it of mineral resources (and if we're colonizing, mineral resources are going to be in abundance), Why is this rogue of interest? I'd imagine people won't want to live on a lightless world, so who would migrate there? Plus, tidal forces make for an uncertain environment. Though that might attract a few thrill seekers and scientists. Or is the plan to tow it back to a solar system with a sun and then colonize it?That would be a massive and interesting engineering project! Or is this like Modesitt's The Eternity Artefact and the planet has proof of alien life?

they are more fascinated with its existence, and send an initial exploration crew to study it and decide what to do, abandon the solar system they were assigned to? Gather resources? Leave a small group of colonists willing to stay? All points would be brought up, with opinions on both sides expressed by individual characters

Bandersnatch said:
Also, is hutematite a typo?
oh lol yes, red Hematite.

Yes, sanguis would probably have an unstable orbit, because of the proximity of the larger body, a widening elliptical orbit, and the possible "yank" out or orbit, is a threat to consider.

Last edited:
That thing you are describing is a dark star.
To us humans it's just a rogue in the dark, but if you could see it in the Xray spectrum then it'd look like a small star. We always view things from our own perspective, but the definition of a star may have different meaning for some races out there.

Hell, there could be species who think orbiting Jupiter is like a day in the radioactive sauna.

Likes Skyland
Skyland said:
it can't run continuously, only making jumps before the energy core has to be replaced

That would work and makes sense. Having to recharge the capacitors before you can do the next jump is definitely a sci-fi trope!

Skyland said:
they are more fascinated with its existence, and send an initial exploration crew to study it and decide what to do

Another great trope, with lots of scope for things that go bump in the night, literal or imagined :nb)

Likes Skyland

1. What is a Blood Moon?

A Blood Moon is a term used to describe a total lunar eclipse, where the Earth's shadow completely covers the moon. During this event, the moon may appear to have a reddish hue, which gives it the name "Blood Moon".

2. How often does a Blood Moon occur?

A Blood Moon occurs about twice a year, but not every total lunar eclipse is considered a Blood Moon. The term is typically used when the moon passes through the darkest part of the Earth's shadow, known as the umbra.

3. What is Ferron & Terrelectra?

Ferron & Terrelectra are fictional planets that were discovered in the concept of the Blood Moon. They are used as a hypothetical scenario to explore the possibility of finding habitable planets outside of our solar system.

4. How does the Blood Moon relate to the discovery of Ferron & Terrelectra?

The concept of the Blood Moon is used as a starting point for the discovery of Ferron & Terrelectra. The idea is that if we can observe a Blood Moon from Earth, it is possible that other planets in our galaxy may also experience similar events, which could lead to the discovery of new worlds.

5. Why is the discovery of Ferron & Terrelectra significant?

The discovery of habitable planets outside of our solar system has major implications for our understanding of the universe and the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It also opens up new opportunities for space exploration and potential future colonization of other worlds.