Boas ch1 ex12--the water purification question

In summary, the conversation discusses a water purification process where one-nth of the impurity is removed in each stage, with the amount removed in each stage being one-nth of the previous stage. The solution shows that if n=2, the water can be made as pure as desired, but if n=3, at least half of the impurity will remain regardless of the number of stages used. The conversation also clarifies that the amount removed in each stage is 1/n of the remaining impurity, not 1/n of the initial amount.
vecsen

Homework Statement

The question is : "In a water purification process, one-nth of the impurity is removed in the first stage.
In each succeeding stage, the amount of impurity removed is one-nth of that removed in the preceding stage. Show that if n = 2, the water can be made as pure as you like, but that if n = 3, [I take this to mean that 66.667% of impurities remaining--] at least one-half of the impurity will remain no matter how many stages are used. "

Homework Equations

I am thinking, granted, there will always be some residue, but that is what 'clean water is': one with only traces of other substances.

I tried at first on paper (with squares). The residue becomes vanishingly small.

As I mention in the title, I expect to be shown in error, but this seems monstrously improbable to me. For instance how is this different from, say 2% inflation? Suppose that--to use gov. statistics-- 98% on average of the value of money remains from year to year. After a century money will have lost ~95.245% of its initial value (there is a certain degree of realism here :).

The Attempt at a Solution

In short I am thinking more along the lines of (1-1/n)^k rather than a *( (1-r^k)/ 1-r). If by any chance I am right, whatever was that woman thinking of?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you start with 1 unit of impurity. The first stage removes 1/n of that so you're left with (1 - 1/n). The next stage removes 1/n of the amount of impurity removed in the preceding stage. What amount of impurity was removed in the preceding stage? What's 1 nth of that?

thanks for the time & answer.
However, you mention "the next stage removes 1/n of the amount of impurity removed in the preceding stage" . I beg to differ: to my mind stage k removes 1/n of the amount REMAINING dissolved in the medium. The way I think of it, you are pointing to (1/n^k), while I am saying [(n-1)/n] ^k.
I hope I am not making a nuisance of myself & thanks for your time & patience
regards,
v

The problem specifically says,

"In each succeeding stage, the amount of impurity removed is one-nth of that removed in the preceding stage."

What was removed was 1/n.

Thank you, and thanks for your patience. Now I understand the question & the suggestion that unless 50% is removed... Grateful.
Regards,
v.

You're quite welcome.

Cheers.

gneill said:
The problem specifically says,

"In each succeeding stage, the amount of impurity removed is one-nth of that removed in the preceding stage."

What was removed was 1/n.
Thanks g. !

I'm glad that you read this so carefully. I nearly responded to this earlier and totally missed this detail !

:doh:

SammyS said:
Thanks g. !

I'm glad that you read this so carefully. I nearly responded to this earlier and totally missed this detail !

:doh:
No problem. I'm lucky I didn't miss it, too!

1. How does the water purification process work?

The water purification process involves removing impurities and contaminants from water in order to make it safe for consumption. This is typically done through a series of steps such as filtration, sedimentation, and disinfection.

2. What are the different methods of water purification?

Some common methods of water purification include filtration, sedimentation, distillation, and chlorination. Each method has its own advantages and may be used depending on the source and quality of the water.

3. How effective is water purification in removing contaminants?

The effectiveness of water purification in removing contaminants depends on the specific method being used and the type of contaminants present. Some methods, such as filtration and distillation, are highly effective in removing a wide range of impurities.

4. Can water purification remove all types of contaminants?

No, there are certain types of contaminants that may not be effectively removed through standard water purification methods. These include chemicals such as pesticides and heavy metals. In these cases, additional treatment methods may be necessary.

5. Is purified water safe for consumption?

Yes, if the water has been properly purified and treated, it is safe for consumption. However, it is important to regularly monitor and test the water to ensure it continues to meet safety standards.