Boeing & NASA makes 'quiet' advances

• NASA
  • Thread starter kach22i
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nasa
In summary, Boeing has been working on ways to reduce noise levels on their aircraft, and their tests have shown that two engines equipped with chevrons are just as quiet as one engine without them.
kach22i
FYI:

Boeing makes 'quiet' advances
Noise-reduction efforts pay off at remote airfield in Montana

By JAMES WALLACE
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER AEROSPACE REPORTER

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/236095_quietjet11.html
During tests at the Glasgow site with a 777 in 2001, Boeing found that two engines equipped with chevrons made no more noise than a single engine without the chevron.

Photo Caption:
Technology being tested on this Boeing 777 in Montana is expected to find its way into 787s, due to enter service in 2008, and the 747 Advanced. (August 11, 2005)

Credit: James Wallace/Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Attachments

• 450engine777b.JPG
    450engine777b.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 465
  • quietjet11.gif
    quietjet11.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 520
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not as simple as they say. If you look at the actual research, many different chevon styles and configurations were used. Some produced 'more' noise than baseline, some produced the same, some produced less.

minger said:
It's not as simple as they say. If you look at the actual research, many different chevon styles and configurations were used. Some produced 'more' noise than baseline, some produced the same, some produced less.
Please provide a link to that reseach if possible.

This link looks interesting, lots of pretty charts and pictures.

http://adg.stanford.edu/aa241/noise/noise.html

My graduate adviser works at Glenn. He's been keeping us up to date on this work. I don't have any raw data, just what he's been telling us.

From what he says though, the results are very interesting and many times unexpected.

Don't get anyone fired.

Coincidentally, I will be at the very same facility tomorrow for some of the same testing we are going to be undertaking.

FredGarvin said:
Coincidentally, I will be at the very same facility tomorrow for some of the same testing we are going to be undertaking.

I'm guessing they will make you check in your camera phone at the front desk.:cool:

Related to Boeing & NASA makes 'quiet' advances

1. What is the purpose of Boeing and NASA's "quiet" advances?

Boeing and NASA's "quiet" advances aim to reduce the noise produced by commercial airplanes during takeoff and landing. This will help to improve the quality of life for communities living near airports.

2. How will Boeing and NASA achieve quieter airplanes?

Boeing and NASA will use advanced engineering techniques and technologies, such as new engine designs and aerodynamic improvements, to reduce the noise produced by airplanes.

3. When will we see the results of these "quiet" advances?

Boeing and NASA have already made significant progress and some of their "quiet" technologies have already been implemented in new airplanes. However, it may take several years before all commercial airplanes are equipped with these advancements.

4. Will these "quiet" advancements affect the performance of airplanes?

No, the "quiet" advancements will not affect the performance of airplanes. In fact, some of these technologies may even improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

5. Are other aircraft manufacturers and organizations also working on reducing airplane noise?

Yes, there are other aircraft manufacturers and organizations, such as Airbus and the Federal Aviation Administration, that are also working on reducing airplane noise. Collaboration and competition in this area will help to accelerate progress towards quieter airplanes.