Boiling Points and Intermolecular Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses arranging a list of compounds in increasing or decreasing order of their boiling points based on their intermolecular forces, such as London forces and dipole-dipole interactions. The concept of polarizability, molar mass, and molecular structure are also mentioned. The individual is seeking additional resources to better understand and solve these types of problems.
lastlanding
I am given question with a number of compounds such as He, Ne, Cl2, (CH3)2CO, O2, O3

I have to arrange it in increasing/decreasing order of their boiling points.

It is related to intermolecular forces i.e London forces, dipole-dipole interactions and also deals with the concepts of polarizability, molar mass, molecular structure etc.

i wasn't able to develop an understanding of the material based on class notes. So, my question is: Can anyone give me link to a good website or any other online resource that will help me pinpoint in finding the solution to such problems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is boiling point?

The boiling point of a substance is the temperature at which it changes from a liquid to a gas, also known as vaporization. It is an important physical property that can be affected by various factors, including intermolecular forces.

2. What are intermolecular forces?

Intermolecular forces are the attractive or repulsive forces that exist between molecules. These forces play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of a substance, such as its boiling point and melting point.

3. How do intermolecular forces affect boiling point?

Stronger intermolecular forces result in a higher boiling point, as more energy is required to break the bonds between molecules and change the substance from a liquid to a gas. Substances with weaker intermolecular forces will have a lower boiling point.

4. What are the different types of intermolecular forces?

The main types of intermolecular forces are London dispersion forces, dipole-dipole interactions, and hydrogen bonding. London dispersion forces exist between all molecules, while dipole-dipole interactions occur between polar molecules, and hydrogen bonding occurs between molecules with a hydrogen atom bonded to an electronegative atom.

5. How do intermolecular forces differ from intramolecular forces?

Intramolecular forces are the forces that hold atoms together within a molecule, such as covalent bonds. Intermolecular forces, on the other hand, are the forces that exist between different molecules. Intramolecular forces are generally stronger than intermolecular forces.