Bolt alternatives (foot operated)

• Thread starter physea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bolt
In summary, a fastener that can be secured/unsecured by foot could be something like a car trunk operated by waving your foot under a sensor.
physea
Hello,

Are there any fasteners that can be fit instead of normal screws and bolts and can be secured/unsecured via foot?

I was thinking something that you step on and it secures and you then use a lever or handle to unsecure it.

Is there anything like that?

Likes Joseph Patrick Kane
Engineering news on Phys.org
Only thing I can think of is that some hospital beds have foot operated devices to stop the wheels rotating and the bed moving. I suppose something like that could be adapted.

Perhaps "over centre" devices like those used on quick release bicycle wheels could be foot operated.

physea said:
Are there any fasteners that can be fit instead of normal screws and bolts and can be secured/unsecured via foot?
Can you describe the application? That might be a better way to get good responses... :smile:

physea said:
That's an extremely vague question. I agree w/ berkeman ... we need to understand the application

I have a cam clamp on the bottom of a table saw, that is foot operated.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Portamate-Universal-Mobile-Base-Adjustable-Mobile-Base/3701814?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SosHandTools-_-3701814:Portamate&CAWELAID=&kpid=3701814&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=bfa25aaf-9327-4aea-9f9b-ddd3d18b6faa&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzrTUBRCnARIsAL0mqcxUYkZc1Ach1JGTpO8YE7mpvTPCR5ST0qyHqJhYiOy3Ytx4bFeITDAaAiREEALw_wcB

@physea we are all going to just keep wasting our time guessing, waiting for you to explain yourself better. How about you do that?

Likes Asymptotic, CWatters and Bystander
I don't understand why my question is not clear enough.

I want to replace a screw+bolt with something that fixes/unfixes by foot.

physea said:

So it's totally irrelevant where the screw/bolt are? Doesn't matter how high off the ground they are? Doesn't matter how big they are (# 4 screw for example, vs a 1" diameter bolt)? Doesn't matter whether they are mounted at an angle to the horizontal, or for that matter are vertical? Nothing matters except that you have some very vague requirement which you somehow believe is a sufficient problem statement. Good luck with that.

Likes Asymptotic
physea said:

Because there are perhaps dozens of different ways to go about it, but many of these approaches won't be applicable. For instance, a pull solenoid and footswitch may be just the ticket provided an electrical source is available and the 'screw replacement' locks a detent shaft in place, but totally inappropriate for other applications.

Likes russ_watters
physea said:

There are likely thousands of fasteners that meet your vague description and which is best for you depends on all the details of your application you haven't told us. How big? How much force? Through or around? What orientation? Tension or shear? Rotation? There are probably at least a dozen parameters, which is why there are so many fasteners.

Likes Asymptotic
Asymptotic said:
Because there are perhaps dozens of different ways to go about it, but many of these approaches won't be applicable. For instance, a pull solenoid and footswitch may be just the ticket provided an electrical source is available and the 'screw replacement' locks a detent shaft in place, but totally inappropriate for other applications.
Some car trunks are operated by waving your foot under a sensor. That's my choice.

'Toggle clamp' and 'ratchet clamp' gives some interesting google results in the category of 'close enough' or 'it can be used so', but without further details...

physea said:

I don't know about the rest of you (well, except for @phinds :smile:) but I'm done with trying to help this OP with his super-vague question and attitude. I'm Unwatching this thread...

Likes phinds
I'm closing the thread. Discussion cannot really go anywhere, thanks for trying to answer.

Likes berkeman

1. What are bolt alternatives that are foot operated?

There are several bolt alternatives that can be operated with your foot instead of a traditional hand-operated bolt. Some examples include foot-operated deadbolts, foot-operated barrel bolts, and foot-operated door locks.

2. How do foot-operated bolts work?

Foot-operated bolts work by using a lever or pedal that is pressed down with your foot to engage or disengage the bolt. This mechanism is similar to how a car brake pedal works.

3. What are the advantages of using foot-operated bolts?

One advantage of foot-operated bolts is that they can be operated hands-free, which can be useful in situations where your hands are full or dirty. They can also provide added security and ease of use for individuals with physical disabilities.

4. Can foot-operated bolts be used on all types of doors?

Foot-operated bolts can be used on most types of doors, including wooden, metal, and glass doors. However, it is important to ensure that the bolt is compatible with the type of door you have before installation.

5. Are foot-operated bolts easy to install?

The ease of installation for foot-operated bolts can vary depending on the specific type and brand. However, most foot-operated bolts come with detailed instructions and can be installed with basic tools and minimal effort.