Bond Dissociation Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation is about calculating an approximate heat of combustion for propane (C3H8) using bond dissociation energies. The equation used is C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O, and the formula is ΔHrxn = ΣD(reactants) - ΣD(products). The conversation also discusses the number of CO2 molecules in the balanced equation and how many were included in the bond energy calculation. After reworking the calculations, the correct answer of -2034 kJ/mol was obtained.
Not a Wrench

Homework Statement

Calculate an approximate heat of combustion for propane (C3H8) in kilojoules per mole by using the bond dissociation energies in the table. (The strength of the O=O bond is 498 kJ/mol, and that of a C=O bond in CO2 is 804 kJ/mol.)

Homework Equations

C3H8 + 5O2 → 3CO2 + 4H2O
ΔHrxn = ΣD(reactants) - ΣD(products)
http://imgur.com/a/G6e1A

The Attempt at a Solution

Looked at propane model found 8 C-H bonds and 2 C-C bonds.
5 O-O (double bonds) found in oxygen
2 C-O bonds found in carbon dioxide
2 H-O bonds found in water

(8(410)+2(350)+5(490)) - (2(804)+4(2*460))= 1182 kJ/mol (obviously not right. Combustion is exothermic) Could anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How many CO2 molecules are in your balanced equation? How many did you include in your bond energy calculation?

TeethWhitener said:
How many CO2 molecules are in your balanced equation? How many did you include in your bond energy calculation?
There are 3CO2 molecules equaling 3(2*350) = 3(700). I reworked it again. Getting [8(410)+2(350)+5(498)] - [3(804)+4(2*460)] = -1672 kJ/mol. But that is also wrong and I only have one more chance to answer it. I'm positive I'm counting the number of bonds of one molecule incorrectly.

Edit: Nevermind. I wrote everything down this time and got it right. I was getting lost in my head keeping track of which molecules were on the reactants side and which were on the products. I arrived at -2034 kJ/mol which is the correct answer.

Last edited:
Likes TeethWhitener

What is bond dissociation energy?

Bond dissociation energy (BDE) is the amount of energy required to break a covalent bond between two atoms in a molecule, resulting in two separate fragments.

Why is bond dissociation energy important?

BDE is important because it helps determine the stability and reactivity of a molecule. Higher BDE values indicate stronger bonds, which make the molecule less reactive and more stable.

How is bond dissociation energy measured?

BDE is typically measured using spectroscopic techniques, such as infrared or ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy. These methods involve irradiating the molecule with light and measuring the amount of energy absorbed or emitted.

What factors affect bond dissociation energy?

The strength of a covalent bond and therefore the BDE is influenced by factors such as bond length, bond order, and the electronegativity of the atoms involved. Bonds with shorter lengths, higher bond orders, and greater differences in electronegativities tend to have higher BDE values.

How is bond dissociation energy used in chemical reactions?

BDE is used to predict the outcome of chemical reactions. Reactions that involve breaking stronger bonds (higher BDE) are typically less favorable and require more energy to proceed. On the other hand, reactions that involve breaking weaker bonds (lower BDE) are more favorable and require less energy.