Book on data/error analysis using R language?

In summary, the author recommends the R For Data Science book if you are new to the language, and the An Introduction to Statistical Learning book if you are more experienced with R and are looking for more in-depth coverage of error analysis.
LCSphysicist
Hello there.
Could you please recommend me a book that focus on data/error analysis and that, at the same time, provides examples of how to use the R programming language to such things?
It could be using the python or c++ languages instead.
The only books i have came across use fortran, but since i think it is becoming outdate to learn this language, i have decided to not use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe have a look at some web articles before buying a book, e.g.
https://data-flair.training/blogs/debugging-in-r-programming/

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
Hello there.
Could you please recommend me a book that focus on data/error analysis and that, at the same time, provides examples of how to use the R programming language to such things?
It could be using the python or c++ languages instead.
The only books i have came across use fortran, but since i think it is becoming outdate to learn this language, i have decided to not use it.
In my opinion (and I'm in good company regarding this), Fortran, now about 65 years old, is by no means outdated ##-## it's an understatement to say that it has a very rich set of libraries ##-## many scientists and engineers find it indispensable for their work.

Likes LCSphysicist
My two favorites that I use regularly (the first of which I actually learned R from) are:

R For Data Science, this goes through everything from importing, cleaning, visualizing and modeling (although this is the weakest section of the book). A slight word of warning with this, though; they use the 'Tidyverse' syntax, which is pretty different from base R syntax. This can be jarring and frustrating when you're trying to debug errors!

An Introduction to Statistical Learning, this is a much more mathematically advanced book (although very well written) that goes into modelling and error analysis. I do some statistical modelling for my job and reference this constantly, particularly the lab sections which work through a full project. This does use base R language.

Python is probably more generally useful to know if you are indifferent between languages for doing data science.

Likes sysprog

1. What is the purpose of a book on data/error analysis using R language?

The purpose of a book on data/error analysis using R language is to provide a comprehensive guide for using the R programming language for analyzing and interpreting data, as well as identifying and handling errors that may arise during the analysis process. It aims to equip readers with the necessary skills to effectively analyze and interpret data using R, and to troubleshoot and correct any errors that may occur.

2. Who is the target audience for a book on data/error analysis using R language?

The target audience for a book on data/error analysis using R language is primarily scientists, researchers, and data analysts who have a basic understanding of statistics and data analysis, and are looking to enhance their skills in using R for data analysis. It can also be useful for students and professionals in fields such as biology, economics, and social sciences, who use R for data analysis.

3. What are the key topics covered in a book on data/error analysis using R language?

The key topics covered in a book on data/error analysis using R language may include an introduction to R and its capabilities, data manipulation and cleaning, statistical analysis, data visualization, and error handling and debugging. It may also cover advanced topics such as machine learning and predictive modeling using R.

4. How can a book on data/error analysis using R language benefit readers?

A book on data/error analysis using R language can benefit readers by providing them with a comprehensive understanding of the R programming language and its applications in data analysis. It can also help them improve their data analysis skills and learn how to effectively handle errors that may arise during the analysis process. This can lead to more accurate and reliable results in their research or work.

5. Is prior experience with R necessary to understand a book on data/error analysis using R language?

No, prior experience with R is not necessary to understand a book on data/error analysis using R language. However, a basic understanding of statistics and data analysis concepts may be helpful. The book may also include introductory chapters on R and its syntax to help readers who are new to the language.