Book recommendation for techniques of evaluating Series?

In summary, the book has extensive coverage of the different techniques for evaluating series. However, it is not the best book for someone just starting out.
Al-Layth
TL;DR Summary: I am looking for a good thorough book that is devoted to assembling and explaining techniques of evaluating series.

evaluating series is a very big problem for me right now. I know nowhere near as much about it as I do integration, and the main reason for this is that its quite easy to find detailed books devoted to techniques in integral calculus. But I can hardly find anything for series.

please recommend me something, the more comprehensive the better. I like books that do one specific thing very thoroughly.

Likes vuthanhcrazy
Physics news on Phys.org
Al-Layth said:
TL;DR Summary: I am looking for a good thorough book that is devoted to assembling and explaining techniques of evaluating series.

evaluating series is a very big problem for me right now. I know nowhere near as much about it as I do integration, and the main reason for this is that its quite easy to find detailed books devoted to techniques in integral calculus. But I can hardly find anything for series.

please recommend me something, the more comprehensive the better. I like books that do one specific thing very thoroughly.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OUR06EO/?tag=pfamazon01-20

has both.

Likes vuthanhcrazy
There are a million tricks for summing up a million different series. There are extensive books of tables and online tools. You might want to reconsider spending a lot of time on those tricks when there are so many fundamental mathematical subjects to learn. IMHO, only a handful of the tricks are worth learning.
But, to each his own.

PS. I have the same opinion of integration techniques.

Likes vuthanhcrazy and Mondayman
Al-Layth said:

Are you struggling with series in the context of a calculus class, or real analysis class?

Truth be told, the most common techniques for book style problems are the Geometric Series Test, P-Series Test, Ratio Test, Root Test, Divergence Test, Comparison Test, and I may be missing a few.

The trick with series is first understanding what a sequence is, convergence of sequence, what a series is, and convergence of a sequence.

Simply Stewart's Calculus book?

1. What are some popular books for learning techniques of evaluating series?

Some popular books for learning techniques of evaluating series include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, "Schaum's Outline of Calculus" by Frank Ayres Jr. and Elliot Mendelson, and "Introduction to Calculus and Analysis" by Richard Courant and Fritz John.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in evaluating series?

Yes, there are books specifically designed for beginners in evaluating series such as "A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang, "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, and "Calculus for Beginners" by John Stillwell.

3. Are there any online resources for learning techniques of evaluating series?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning techniques of evaluating series such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. Additionally, many universities and colleges offer online courses or lectures on this topic.

4. How can I apply the techniques of evaluating series in real-world problems?

The techniques of evaluating series are commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve real-world problems. For example, in physics, series are used to calculate the value of physical constants, in engineering, series are used to model and analyze complex systems, and in economics, series are used to predict future trends.

5. Are there any books that provide practice problems for evaluating series?

Yes, there are many books that provide practice problems for evaluating series such as "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart, "Calculus Workbook for Dummies" by Mark Ryan, and "Calculus: 1,001 Practice Problems for Dummies" by Patrick Jones.