Book(s) with problems on classical electromagnetism

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a book that contains problems on all the laws of classical electromagnetism, and the recommendation of a new book that meets this criteria. The recommended book has both solved and unsolved problems, with detailed solutions provided separately. The cost of the book is also mentioned, with the possibility of buying it at a later time. The conversation also mentions another book that will be published in July and provides a link to it.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I started studying the book "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" by Daniel Fleisch some time back. It is an excellent book, giving a very good idea about the main laws of electromagnetism.

I will soon finish the book. Now I need some book(s) which has problems on all the laws in classical electromagnetism, like Gauss's Law on electric and magnetic fields (differential and integral form), Faraday's Laws, Ampere-Maxwell Law, Maxwell's Equations, and others.

It would be helpful if the book contains solved problems as well as unsolved ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
vanhees71 said:
I recently found this very new one. As far as I can see, it's excellent. It has the problems and (very detailed!) solutions separated. So you can do the problems first yourself, without seeing the solutions before.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319631322/?tag=pfamazon01-20
That's a bit costly for me at this moment. $1 is about 65 Indian Rupees. So, $60 would be somewhere around Rs. 3900. Maybe I'll buy it later month.

Anyways, thanks for the reference.

This book is scheduled for publication this July:
amazon.com/Solved-Problems-Classical-Electromagnetism-Physics/dp/048681372X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1522801219&sr=8-3&keywords=jerrold+franklin

Likes Wrichik Basu

What is classical electromagnetism?

Classical electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It is based on the laws of electromagnetism, which were first described by scientists such as Michael Faraday and James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century.

What are some common problems encountered in books on classical electromagnetism?

Some common problems encountered in books on classical electromagnetism include difficulty understanding the mathematical equations and concepts, confusion about the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and difficulty applying the principles to real-world situations.

How can I improve my understanding of classical electromagnetism?

One way to improve your understanding of classical electromagnetism is to practice solving problems and working through examples. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or videos, and to ask questions and discuss the material with others.

Are there any common misconceptions about classical electromagnetism?

Yes, there are several common misconceptions about classical electromagnetism, such as the belief that electric and magnetic fields are separate and unrelated, and the idea that only static charges can produce electric fields. It is important to thoroughly study the principles and equations of electromagnetism to avoid these misconceptions.

Can classical electromagnetism be applied to modern technology?

Yes, classical electromagnetism is the foundation of many modern technologies such as electricity, magnetism, and electromagnetic waves. Understanding classical electromagnetism is essential for fields such as electrical engineering, telecommunications, and electronics.